Chapter 3: Dragon Breeders

[Neviah]

My heart twisted with nerves as I nervously sat in the reception office of the Dragon Association Centre which was located in the middle of nowhere. It cost an arm and leg to get to this part of Magicae by taxi. Since there was no bus to this destination and I wasn't driving I had to pay the ridiculous fare.

The Centre, created for testing Dragon Breeders, was surrounded by tall and intimidating gates, that made it feel like I was entering a prison, and armed guards ready to gun down any protesters and dragon hunters that thought this place was doing the devil's work.

With arms folded tightly across my chest, I tapped my foot anxiously all the while staring at the floor as multiple women passed me, many with their faces covered. Most likely for anonymity. In direct contrast to my thoughts, there were a lot of candidates waiting to get tested. Many left the hospital with tears in their eyes, as they held a red card meaning they were rejected. I guess they were here for the same reason as me. To get away from their troubles.

With a yawn, I leaned back on the chair. If I had stayed up all night it would have made no difference to the exhaustion I was currently feeling. Each night for the past week, every morning the bed sheets were in a knot on the floor. Aside from a few half hours of vivid dreams, I didn't sleep a wink. My nerves were acting up and regrets were coming in.

After another hour stacked on top of the 3 hours I've been waiting, the receptionist finally turned on her monitor and called Neviah Janara. I jumped up from the seat. This was it, assessment time. "That's me." I answered lowly, seeing the eyes of the women sweep me down.

A nurse worked over to me, a kind smile on her face. "Please follow me, ma'am." I gave her a curt nod, picking up my back from the seat beside me. The walk to the doctor's room seemed long and non-existent at the same time, almost like part of me wasn't there. We finally reach the door, brown and dull like all the others we passed. "Well, here we are." She informed me. "Please change into this. "A Doctor will be here in a few to explain things so get comfortable." She handed me a blue hospital gown. My eyes widened when she held onto my arms. "Good luck." She added.

"Thanks." I mumbled, trying to pull my arms from her grip.

With an exasperated sigh, I placed my handbag on the chair near the bed and put on the gown as instructed. I made sure to leave on my panties and bra since my entire back was exposed. I didn't like having my body being exposed to my friends, far less strangers.

My eyes explored the room while waiting for a doctor to come. Its walls are simply white, not peeling or dirty, just white. It was weirdly clean, with no dust in sight. An old TV set hung from the wall opposite the bed. To the left, a window taking up the majority of the walk gave me a beautiful view of the sunny forest below, a dull curtain that held back no light. In the corner are two black chairs. It was a typical hospital room, sparse and functional. I sat myself on the bed and stared dejectedly up at the ceiling.

My stomach shifted uneasily. I noticed that my fingers were pinching into my skin. I released my hands, but then I couldn't figure out what to do with them, so instead I clasped them in front of me. My stomach and heart jumped out of my body when the door swung open to reveal two women. A nurse and doctor.

The doctor gave me a wide smile as she entered I reciprocated in her way, her smile limited to her mouth, unsure of what happens next and wary of being drawn into a conversation I didn't want. "Hello my dear, I'm Dr. Rian, I'll be taking care of you today. She looked down at the document in her hand. "You're name is Neviah Janara?"

I nodded. "Yes, that's me." I answered hoarsely causing me to clear my throat. My heart began to pump faster in my chest as so realised that this was happening. I could be selected to have a dragon's baby by the end of the day. I bit my lip. Leaving isn't an option and staying promises to be a slowly unfolding nightmare.