Chapter 18: Change of Heart

[Brax]

Her eyes were alight with joy and excitement. Her words were running into one another as she babbled to herself on top of me. I smiled watching her hair fly in every direction, but that took nothing from her beauty. There was something so intoxicating about an exhilarated Neviah. Her bounces, squeals and laughs as she experiences riding on a dragon for the first time, made me smile without my knowledge. As her grin got wider the experience made everything I did today worth it. No one was in the sky so it was just us and the open multi-colored morning sky. Peaceful.

Our light chatter was littered with smiles and jokes. For the first time in years, I felt comfortable or at ease. I've stayed up in my house on the hill like some villain in a storybook, no one to speak to but myself. The chance to finally have someone who willingly wanted me. She made sure I ate every night, cooking food I quickly got addicted to. Waited up for me every night, even as her eyes begged to sleep. She often tried to initiate sex with me, though she knew I would reject her. Neviah was trying for me so it wasn't fair for me to continue treating her the way I was.

For me more than her, I wanted to make more of an effort. I still did not want a child, but enjoying her company for however long she wanted to be her didn't sound like a bad idea.

Feeling a tinge in my wings, I decided it was time for us to descend. I didn't know how long we were up there, but the sky was starting to darken. "I'm sorry to say it again but that was fucking amazing!" She beamed, as we walked back to the car. "Sorry for my language but we were flying. Like actually flying! It was so beautiful up there."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"I more than enjoyed it!" Still pumped on adrenaline, she wrapped her hands around my neck and pulled me down until our lips touched. I quickly responded, groaning when she pulled away. "We have to do that again. I felt like a bird and I could talk to you. How? I didn't know humans could talk telepathically with dragons."

"Maybe it's because you're an Aquasi," I suggested. It could be because we were mates. However, mates can't communicate telepathically, until we bite and pledge ourselves to each other. Even then, that was when it was between two dragons, not a dragon and a human, far less an Aquasi. I couldn't let anyone know that we were mates. Especially since we were able to talk to each other without doing the bonding ritual.

Though, with further thought, I wouldn't mind if we bonded. From the laughs to the kisses to the sweet exchanges with her nurtured every part of me for the past 5 months. As much as I tried to hide it and keep my distance from her, what I felt with her felt completely right. There was no supernatural force behind it. Our chemistry was natural. For the first time, I was certain someone liked me for me. She was not corrupted by the knowledge of my past or the fact we were fated to each other. Yes, she was here to give me a baby, but the things she did for me and the way she looked at me had nothing to do with that.

To be worthy of her, I need to learn to care more and to show more empathy. I needed to keep my insecurities from messing up a new, possibly healthy relationship. I needed to lean into the discomfort of letting someone know me, tolerate uncomfortable thoughts and let the feelings pass. That way I could respond appropriately, rather than reacting rashly and ignoring her when my feelings towards her grew.

"Tomorrow is my turn." She stated, breaking me out of my internal battle with myself.

I looked over at her, squeezing her hand that clasped with mine. "Your turn to what?" I questioned. She didn't push the conversation about talking to me as a dragon any further, making me relieved.

"Well you took my flying, so I want to do the same." She answered, a large grin on her face. At this point, she could tell me to do anything and I would do it with no hesitation. I was officially hooked.