Chapter 28: Crowded Isolation

(Unedited)

[Neviah]

I strolled into the living room intending to vent my inner turmoil to Angel, but stopped at the sight in front of me. Enviously, I watched Angel and Andy snuggled up on the couch, Celeste lying between Andy's lap. Her cute coos rang loudly in my ears as her parents attempted to make her laugh. It was a beautiful family moment that reminded me that I didn't belong here. This was meant to be their time. They were new parents who deserved to spend time with their newborn, without having a grown women to worry about.

I moved to leave the room, my glossy eyes obscuring the way, then halted. It's better if I did this now. Get it over with. They turned towards me with a smile, giving me their full attention. "I think I'm going to go." I declared. Angel's face dropped into a frown. 

"Go where? It better not be back to Brax yet." She spat, standing up from the sofa.

She walked over to me with a frown. "No. I think I just want to be by myself for a couple of days." I answered. "Process all of this."

"You're pregnant, meaning you're vulnerable. We don't want you to be by yourself." Andy said from the sofa. Angel hummed in agreement.

"Thanks but I want to go." I insisted. "Plus you guys should be enjoying your new family moment. This is meant to be your happy time. Not having me crying and Brax knocking at your door like a crazy person."

She rolled her eyes. "Don't be ridiculous Neviah. Where are you going to go?"  

I bit my lip, pondering the question. "That was a good question I've not really thought about it." I said sheepishly.

"If you are serious, there is an Inn not too far from here. I can book you a room for a few nights." Andy added. Angel glared at him but he continued. "However, you know our clan does not think highly of Brax. I can't sense your pregnancy it may, so for your sake, I hope both the clan and Brax can't either. Dragons can get extremely protective and possessive over their partner while they are pregnant, so be careful. Brax already has a bad reputation; don't ruin it because he had to kill someone because he saw them breathe ten feet away from you."

"You weren't like that. We said inside the first 2 months but then you let me go placed by myself the rest of the 5 months." Angel pointed out 

"Brax is completely different to me. "

"How?" Angel and I asked in unison.

"He's... How can I phrase this." Andy stopped, considering how to word his sentence. "I suppose bloodline is purer than mine. By that, I mean he's closer to being a dragon than me. His lineage has stringer traces of the original dragon DNA. My family bloodline is mingled with humans. Therefore, my innate instinct is not as animalistic as his."  

"I'll try to stay clear of him and other residents the best I can." I promised. If I left without his knowledge, I doubt he would know where to find me.

It took a little more back and forth between Angel and I before she gave up trying to convince me to stay. Leaving was bittersweet. I loved having someone there to listen to all my complaints and comfort me, but it would be nice to be independent and figure this out by myself. It was my problem after all. I couldn't hide from Brax for the rest of my life.

After Andy got me a new place to stay, I packed up the little clothes I had. Celeste was being fussy, so Andy drove me to a slightly deserted Inn from the main of the town.

I quickly got checked in and went to my room locking myself in my new home. My eyes gazed around the room. It was small and perfect, simple and inviting. A queen-sized bed in the middle of the room, with two small bedside tables and lamps on either side. A small desk was placed on the left of the room, two wooden chairs neatly tucked under it. Cozy. To my immediate left, there was a little bathroom with all the necessities