Chapter 14: Untamed Beast

(Brax)

The morning had come around again too soon. I rested my head against the cool metal wall I do every day, waiting for my shift to start. Like always, I was the first to arrive so took the furthest corner where no one would bother me. The artificial lights shun from the dirty ceiling casting the wall a rusty grey. For five days a week for the past ten years, I've come to this warehouse to work meaningless jobs. Wasted hours of hard labour to make money because no one else on the whole island wanted to be associated with me. They only hired me because Gillian forced the warehouse with some legal bullshit. For that, Management didn't like me in the warehouse- among other things that was out of my control. The entire town, hell the whole of Infernae despised who I was. What I stood from.

My hand rested across my eyes as I dulled my mind before the rest of the workers could come filling up the large building. Another day of play acting stupid enough to get the work done. As my mind again emptied Neviah's began to flood my mind. For the past three weeks, seeing her asleep in my bed every morning before I went to bed was like a blessing to me after living alone in that house for so long. The way her long, slender legs and arms tightly wrapped around my pillow, as her wild hair sprawled across the bed. Even though she felt hot, she would always have my blanket covering her waist. When I tried to remove it she would groan and pull it from my hand while she continued to sleep.

My thoughts were so often of her that I felt like I was going crazy. I've never been interested enough in someone that they couldn't leave my head no matter how hard I tried. Thoughts of her feeling like a block of ice to my hot skin, bring instant two of to my body. Her naked body. Her honey-soft voice and cries of pleasure. Her teeth and nails sank into my skin as I rammed into her. A kind of good memory that pulls me onwards. There was that feeling in my stomach again, a soft of mixture nausea and electric tingles as I thought of her. My head began buzzing and my heart rate increased as if I was running, I guess that's an attraction but it felt so deep. Yet I could do nothing about it. It was only because of the mating link. If it wasn't for that stupid curse put on dragon-shifters, I would not be feeling like this.

I have yet to conquer any of my ghosts, so it felt safer to run from her embrace than to her. I could tell she wanted to embrace me, for me to show her some interest. My own body was pulling me to her but I couldn't succumb to it. Each night she tried to talk to me, and I left. I would love to run into her arms and kiss and fuck her until the world burns, yet, in truth, I can't run to her. I tried the when had sex and I started to spiral. My steady and nonchalant composure evaporated as every waking thought was of how I could love her and make her mine. I was emotionally independent, yet now all I wanted was a partner.

To stop myself from acting to those new emotions I avoid her, ignoring the pain in her eyes. Especially since we had caused a volatile reaction from each other. It was better for her if I acted cold and indifferent. Save her from inevitable heartbreak. However, I could still imagine what the better version of me would want me to do. Accept the mating bond and love her. Cherish her and start a family that would love me, not fear or despise for something I couldn't control. However, I could not undo the trauma I've been through, so she will have to suffer until she leaves and goes back to wherever she came from. Having a kid with her would in me end up in misery, and I have no more space for pain.

With a sudden screeching jerk in the door, I looked up. The cool damp morning air rushes in with a few spots of rain. Like sheep, the other workers filled themselves into the meeting room. I turned, moving further into the room and put my hoodie over my face, neither looking left nor right yet having complete awareness of the space.

"Good morning boys, I have three jobs going on outside the warehouse today. As usual, each area is marked, so don't go out of it." The boss, Freddy, announced. His orange eyes took turns boring into everyone's head as he looked around to make sure enough of it was present to begin his morning speeches. "I have no messages today so the usual outdoor workers stay in this room while the rest of you slackers get to work. Those logs won't style themselves." With that being said everything split, going away to do their daily task, leaving 20 of us in the meeting room. There's a lot of work that needs to be processed and revamped. This job had many positions. They were the people who stayed in the warehouse where the trunks were cut, cleaned and crafted to be transported to be made into something useful. While the rest went out and got trunks or plant trees.