Chapter 21: Alternative Possibilties

[Neviah]

"Good Morning Neviah," Florence said as she entered the room in pink scrubs.

"Morning." I greeted with a high level of excitement. The nurse already come to get my blood work and Florence was here to tell me the results. For the first time I've been here, I couldn't be more sure that I was pregnant. The amount of time Brax came in me for the past week, while I was ovulating, would make it difficult not to be. I even missed my period. I was 4 days late. There was absolutely no chance I wasn't. Due to the constant disappointment over the past few months, I didn't take tests, but I was sure. I had to be pregnant. She went over to the sink at the corner of the room and washed her hands. Her expression was dim as if she was lost entirely to worrying thoughts. "Are you okay Ms. Florence?" I questioned.

When she turned to me her face softened into a smile. "I am dear." She cleared her throat as she sat in the chair, pulling out my chart. She glanced over it, a frown on her face. "Unfortunately, you're still not pregnant. It's been over five months. All girls who came within the same month, except you and another, have already begun their pregnancy. Two have already had a successful delivery with another in labour as we speak. You had the best result out of all, so I would have thought you would have better luck."

My bottom lip pointed forward as I felt water rim my eyes. "Maybe something is wrong with me." My voice trembled. I felt dejected. It's hard to want a thing that much and feel that it is beyond reach. It was hard hearing that the other girls were all getting pregnant, while I couldn't. My time was close to being over and they were going to throw me out away from Brax. I couldn't be away from him. He'd become such an importance in my life and I couldn't even do this one thing for him. It's my main purpose to be here. He even helped me finish the baby's room.

I blinked my eyes trying to stop the teat. yet tears come in such generous streams.
Florence sat opposite me her eyes widened. She looked almost guilty. "Don't say that dear. Nothing wrong with you. Nothing at all!" She exclaimed. "Some people just have a harder time getting pregnant. The other girls had it easy. Their partner followed the programme and they began on time. Your match didn't and you had to wait for almost two months before you started. Also, you're an Aquasi. There's never been a baby created between the two, so we have no idea what that process looks like. You need to consider all those factors. You have about 3 more weeks and I'm sure it will happen."

I knew she was trying to give me hope,  but what she was saying wasn't sticking in my head. Brax already joked and told me they would have to go through him to get me out. As nice as the thought was, it wouldn't cement my place as a resident. I would always have my guard up as to when I would get ambushed and dragged out back to Vondus. "But what if I don't get pregnant? I'm going to get kicked out of here." I sobbed.

"Let's try to see if there are any issues we can try to fix." She cleared her throat and looked at some papers in front of her. "Does your period -"

"They come regularly, haven't missed one until this week." I answered before she could finish.

She nodded and wrote something down.  "Have you noticed any changes to your body when having intercourse?" She continued.

My face crumbled in thought. "I always drink water after sex because I get really dehydrated from the heat emitting off his body. After a glass or two, I'm usually back to normal." I told her. Brax usually gets it for me because I'm too weak.

She took note of what I said. "That's to be expected since you two are from different elements." She quizzed Ms some more before standing up. "I'll be right back." I sat there, unwanted thoughts circling my mind like a shark. I jumped when the door opened a few minutes later. "I want you to take this anytime you have sex, it can be before or after."