That Game We Call High School(8)

Chapter Eight

To Love, or To Hate

*****************************

There are people in this world that you love, ones that you hate, ones you detest, and ones you couldn't live without. And sometimes, just sometimes, all of those people are one person.

~*~

After the whole thing with my sister, I got up and out of my bed, and over to my closet. Quickly, I pulled on a thick-strapped black tank top, a wide-necked white Class Cred KillBrand shirt, some ripped black skinny jeans, and my trusty black converse. Then, I went to my bathroom, straightened my hair, popped in my contacts, put on some black liquid eyeliner and lavender lip stainer, and I was good to go. Swinging my hair into a high pony tail, I grabbed my bag, and began heading out for school.

But, of course, something just had to go wrong. As I started rhythmically speeding down the stairs, my brother gave me the evil eye from the right of the stare case. "What do you want, Jake?"

"I want to talk to you about Liam." Oh my God! Is this morning like an intervention sequence for Khloe Main or some crap?! 

Acting casual, I grabbed a pear from the kitchen, and turned back around to find Jake with his arms crossed in the doorway. "What about Liam?" Though, I already knew what Jake was talking about. He was going to try to play the big brother role. Well, he lost that opportunity a long time ago when his friend hit on me and I kicked him. You can probably guess where.

He sighed, loosening up on his stance. "Listen, I just want to make sure that you and Liam going out isn't going to-"

"What?!" My voice was probably louder than it should've been, but, what can I say? I'm a bit of a drama queen. "For the second time this morning, I am not dating Liam freaking Mathers! Nor do I plan to, okay?! He's just taking me to a concert to say sorry for something. Frick!" Just as I was about to leave through the kitchen doorway, Jake put his arm in front of me. "What now?!"

"Just what is he apologizing for, Khloe?" His voice was stern as he looked me in the eye.

My eyes widened as I quickly realized what he meant. "No! Jake! Frick, no! I haven't even had my first kiss yet. Holy crap, you really are an idiot, aren't you?!" I punctured his inner elbow with my fingernail, and walked out the front door, slamming it behind me.

Did my own brother really think that low of me?! I mean, I knew he was an idiot and all.. But still! Angrily, I bit into my pear. Today was very obviously not meant to be my day. Right about now, I'm wishing that I could go back to Wednesday after school, jamming to Every Avenue in privacy, singing into my hair brush in front of my mirror. I groaned loudly into the air, mentally kicking myself for ever thinking that I would just get through high school like some girl in a romance novel. Honestly, at the beginning of Freshman year, the year before, I had thought that I would find 'the one'. The one who would defend me, love me forever, and always guide me. 

That's when I learned forever didn't exist. It was just a state of mind, a figure of speech. 

Licking and biting my bottom lip, I walked into the school rigidly. I threw my pear into the nearest trash can violently and speed-walked all the way to my locker. Only to find Liam leaning up against it, talking to Lisa and Calypso. I mentally smacked myself for ever telling him to prove that he was sorry to me. Having him humiliate me would be a lot less irritating. But, no, he had to freaking hit on my friends! They didn't know how truly mean he could be. Wait, yes they did. Yet, they were throwing themselves at him.