That Game We Call High School(7)

Chapter Seven

True or False Facts

*****************************

Have you ever heard the saying 'Lies travel fast', or that rumors are just simply 'False Facts'? If you've seen the movie 'Easy A', you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. Or, if it's happened to you, you're more familiar with the idea. 

If there's a simple lie, whether people know that it is or not, they can and will spread it around. Just to prove that they might 'know' a little piece of information that others might not. I mean, it's just false facts.. Right? No, no it's not. These lies can be little white lies, or huge ones that can alter one's life.

Back to the 'Easy A' comparison. Olive didn't really start the rumor - her best friend basically forced her to 'admit' it. So, she did. And someone simply overheard it, and started it from there. Even though they wouldn't allow Olive to explain. Then, people started going to Olive for lies, starting with her gay friend. And if she didn't go with the lie, people would guilt trip her.

Of course, it's a movie, so everything ended up okay.

But life isn't a movie.

~*~

Before I could get out of Chemistry, Liam grabbed me by my elbow and made me wait up. "What do you want, Liam?! I freaking told you to leave me the flip alone." Not my best line, I honestly could've done better, but my mind was too unfocused at the moment. 

He breathed in an out. "Listen, Khloe," He began. But, before he could continue, he dropped my elbow to run his right hand through his midnight black hair. "I honestly don't have an explanation for the way I've been treating you for the past couple years. I know you and Calypso are the ones who played the prank." He admitted, making my jaw lower slightly.

He knew? He knew. "Then.. Why didn't you tell any-" He quickly stopped me.

"Because, I actually didn't know until Chem that day. When you were all like 'well now you know' and crap-"

"It's not crap!" My voice cracked, a bit hurt. I knew he couldn't, wouldn't, change.

"Let me finish, for crying out freaking loud!" His voice was louder than mine, making me falter a bit under his gaze. "Gosh, you're so complicated! Why am I even trying to prove this to you? Ugh, I don't know.. But, as I was saying, when you said all that.. I realized the reason why you played the prank. The day before and all those other times.. You were just this pitiful loser that I looked at, but didn't see." Wow, did Liam Mathers just say something so.. Poetic? "And don't tell me you didn't have me labeled either." He pointed his index finger at me, exasperated. 

I nodded, ready to stand up to him and tell him exactly what I thought of him. "Yes, yes I did. You were just that jerk that picked on someone to make themselves feel superior. You were that heartless son of a gun that made me feel helpless. You and your little buddies made me wonder if it would actually make a difference if I was dead. You and your little buddies made me slip into depression for over a month! You were a part of that, and you can never take that back."

Grabbing my backpack violently, I began heading outside of the classroom. But, before I did, I turned to say one last thing, "I almost accepted going to the concert with you. If you hadn't of said that it was so you could prove that you were 'sorry', then we would be making plans right now. You screwed up with me. Again." With that, I walked out of the classroom, and to my locker.