Chapter 19

Today is the day.

My first date in a long while...

I can do this, of course I can. I've done so many things since I've known Chris that I thought I'd never do again in my life.

But hey...

Christian is slowly becoming a symbol of hope and Light, he has shown me that there's more to life after losing loved ones, but if only he knew the truth.

Gabby would hate me if she ever found out the truth...

She can never know the truth... No one can.

I'll live with the guilt knowing what I did, I truly don't deserve all the good in my life but life has a funny way of giving us an opportunity to make amends, it gives us a second chance even when we think we don't deserve it.

"Lo?" Gabby peeks her head in through the gap of my bedroom door.

That's my reason right there, my second chance to make sure she lives the best and happiest life she can.

"Mm-hmm?"

"Can Marley come with us tonight?"

"You'll need to ask Chris first, Gabs. If he says yes, we'll need to ask Mrs Francis, too."

"I already asked him," she looks up at me through her long lashes, "he told me to make sure by you first since it's your date with him." Her lips stretch into a small smirk.

"Oh, you sly little girl." I reach out poking her sides sending her into an uncontrollable fit of giggles.

"Stop!" Gabby yells out, trying to wipe the tears off her cheeks.

"Fine," I retract my fingers giving Gabs a chance to sober up. "Did you ask Mrs Francis?"

She mumbles something incoherently as a light blush coats her cheeks.

"What was that?" I question, crossing my legs on my bed.

"Yes, I asked her already."

"Were you hoping I'd say yes, or did you ask them already to make sure I'd say yes?"

Gabby doesn't have to say anything for me to know the answer, but I still wait for her response to come.

"To make sure you say yes." I knew it. "Don't be angry please, Lo. This is the first time I can invite her to go out with us. I just-"

"-I understand Gabs, I'm not angry."

"You're not?"

"I'm not." She wraps her arms around me quickly before running out of my room excitedly and I smile.

I haven't taken Gabby out all that much and when I did take her anywhere, we would always walk there. It would always be within walking distance, nothing all that fun but she understood. Gabby used to love the park the most with a duck pond in the middle of it, she loved feeding the ducks then she loved eating pizza at Mario's Pizzeria, not once did she complain of the lack of fun in her life involving me.

Mrs Francis made sure that when they went out to do something fun, whether it be going to the movies, shopping at the mall or just going to the water park in the town over, she would always include Gabby, making sure she had a resemblance of a childhood or more like trying to repair the fractured pieces of what was left of her childhood.

I'll always be grateful for having Mrs Francis, she tried with me, tried getting me to open up to her, to tag along on their outings, she tried to be a mother figure towards me but I was too far gone for that.