Chapter 8

I spend hours at the hospital for my clinical rotations and the main question that continuously comes to the forefront of my mind is, is this worth it? I could have studied to become a make-up artist, or a nail technician, but no, I had to choose a medical degree.

I wanted to drop out on so many occasions or change my course, I already know how to do nails, I mean Michelle taught me everything she knows and she owns her very own successful nail studio, it might be small, but she makes a lot.

Is this really what I want to do for the rest of my life? This last year has been the toughest, my professors, my mentors, they all warned me, but the more I go the more I get the hang of it.

My finals are around the corner, I haven't studied for it, I haven't applied at any hospitals for an internship yet, my head is thoroughly shoved deep up my ass and its time I get it out.

I started working for Michelle a few years back, the bills were piling up and someone had to pay them, I'm trying so hard not to spend the money our parents left behind, Gabby will need it in the future.

Somewhere between clinical rotations and the job with Michelle, I'll have to find time to study, time to spend with Gabs and still try to function like a normal living being.

"I believe your time is up." A stern voice says from behind me, I turn around fast, placing my hand on my chest.

"Dr Thompson, you startled me." There is something familiar about this woman in front of me, I can't quite put my finger on it.

"You will make an exc- "

"I'm leaving now, I'll see you and dad at home." I am gobsmacked, how could I have missed it?

"Hey, Logan, didn't see you there." The eyes, it's so unique, rarely seen and here I've seen them on two different people in the same town, same hospital.

"Christian." I finally find my voice again. "See you in a few weeks Dr Thompson, good to see you again, Christian."

I hastily walk towards the elevators, my eyes cast downwards to the light grey vinyl flooring.

"Wait up." I hear his voice getting closer, "Logan!" And closer, "Didn't you hear me?" And he falls into step with me. I stop walking and I turn to face him, his beaming smile lighting up his face.

"Can you please just leave me alone." His smile falters, I continue walking without waiting for a response, I can hear the shuffling of his sneakers against the floor a few feet behind me, I don't look back.

I press the downward arrow and wait as patiently as I can for the ding to sound out, once it finally does, I step in and select ground floor, Christian steps in and I try not to notice the small frown on his face and how it really doesn't suit him all that well, but I fail.

The elevator gives a slight jerk as it begins to move, the motion causing slight dizziness, I press my eyes closed and my face scrunches up, involuntarily I might add.

"Closing your eyes will only make it worse when you step off." Christian's soft, gentle voice reaches my ears and I find myself wanting to open my eyes and look at him, admire his eyes, admire his smile and really look at him, but then I remember the promise I made to myself, to Landon, four years ago.

*** FLASHBACK ***

Four years ago

23rd June 2015.

I slowly make my way down the street, no one in sight, gloomy clouds overhead causing the sky to darken, making it appear later than it originally is, the wind whips my hair, causing a stinging sensation whenever it hits my face, but that is nothing compared to what I'm feeling on the inside.