Chapter 7

I spin on my heel and run like a crazy person, if I could see myself right now, I'd look like a damn chicken that just got its head chopped off. I hear the blood rushing in my ears, I can feel my heart beating erratically in my chest.

"GABBY!?" I yell out, searching for her. "I-IN THE K-KITCHEN!" I hear the fear in her voice as I hastily make my way to the kitchen.

I walk into the kitchen, attack mode at the ready, I look around for an intruder, but there is none in sight. Gabby is sat atop our granite kitchen island hanging over the side, staring wide-eyed at the floor, the fear is clear as day in her hazel eyes, I see her body shaking slightly.

"What's going on Gabs?" Confusion lacing my voice.

"O-Over there, Lo, can't y-you see it? It's so big." She points in the direction of the dark brown utensil drawers.

Christian steps past me, he looks around our modernish kitchen for a moment, takes a sheet of paper on the counter and a glass that was left on the counter, he slowly walks over to where Gabby is pointing.

He places the paper under the eight-legged creature until it's no longer on the floor, he places the glass over the spider, so, it doesn't run off the paper. He takes a cautious step toward Gabby and smiles at her.

"The only way to overcome fear is to face it, it can't hurt you now." His words truly hit home, but he'll never know that, he slowly moves the spider closer to Gabby, she leans forward ever so slightly to look at it.

"What are you going to do with it?" She whispers, Christian smiles at her, "well if you're feeling brave enough, you can open the backdoor and come with me outside, we will go st the spider free in the garden, far away from the house."

Gabby nods her head, makes her way carefully off the kitchen island and opens the door for him, I walk over to our kitchen window and watch the interaction, he's crouching down by the furthest tree from the backdoor, as promised, Gabby's hand rests on his shoulder as she leans over to watch what he's doing.

They watch for a moment; Gabby grabs his hand and begins dragging him back over to the house, a smile stretches across her face. I feel my mouth lifting in the corners, not forcefully, but on its own accord.

"Lo, can he stay for pizza, and the movie?" I see the excitement on her face, the pleading in her eyes along with the glee. "Maybe he has somewhere else to be?" Gabby tugs on his hand, eyes opening slightly wider, the bottom lip jutting out with a slight tremble, I taught her that look, the puppy dog face.

"I'd love to stay." He smiles down at Gabby as she begins dragging him to the living room.

Fuck my life.

***

After settling down, I let Gabby choose the movie, she decides to go for Moana, we have seen that movie a hundred times if not more.

I hand them each a plate and place the open box on the glass table in the center of the living room, we have an L shaped white sofa, a dark grey fluffy carpet covering the floor along with another higher glass table for the television.

We are about twenty minutes into the movie when I feel someone's gaze burning a hole through my head, I look up from my first slice of pizza that I've been picking and prodding at since the beginning of the movie.

I look to my left, he's staring at me with a frown on his face, Christian looks from me to the slice of uneaten pizza and back up again, the frown lines deepening, I take a bite out of my slice, chewing slowly, his frown lifts into a small, satisfied smile, and he diverts his attention back to the movie.

***

After finishing her pizza Gabs made herself comfortable on the sofa next to Christian, light, soft snores fill the silence once I muted the sound of the credits rolling. I get up to try wake her up when I notice she's fast asleep against his arm, the last person she felt comfortable enough around to fall asleep against was Landon, a pang hits my chest, deep breaths Logan, deep breaths.

"Sorry about that, I'll wake her now." I whisper, sadly I can't carry her to bed, she might be slim, and her head reaches my chest area, but she's heavier than she looks.

He slowly pulls his arm out from under her head, careful not to wake her, he puts one arm under her head and the other under her knees and slowly stands up with Gabby in his arms. "Where's her room?"

"It's, uh, this way, follow me." This man barely knows me, barely knows my sister and here he is, helping her get over her fear of spiders, letting her fall asleep against him and carrying her to bed, it's really... kind? Sweet?

No, none of those, it's frustrating! Christian is, so... he is so... so... oh fuck I don't care! I slowly open the pink, flowery comforter as he places Gabby gently down in her bed, he slowly pulls the covers over her, and smiles fondly.

"I should get going." He smiles one of those smiles that reach the eyes, causing them to crinkle ever so slightly at the end, I don't know when the last time was that I smiled like that...

"I'll walk you out."

The cool fresh air hits me in my face, I welcome it. "She's... she's my sister." I mumble.

"What was that?" Christian questions softly. "Gabby, she's not my daughter, she's my little sister."

He chuckles quietly to himself, "I know, I figured she wouldn't call you by name if you were her mom."

"Yeah, well... thanks, uh, for helping with the spider and all that." I smile a tight-lipped smile.

"When do you go back to the hospital?"

"I go back in a week."

"Same as me, Can I give you a ride?"

"No, I can walk, bye Christian." His face falls, I turn around and begin my descend to my bed.

"Do you not like cars or something?" I stop walking and look at him over my shoulder,

"Or something."

Thanks for reading!❤️

I'd love to give a huge shout out to laurenwolfe12 and Meagz56 for all the support and comments❤️ I'm so happy to have met the both of you on here!🥰🌟