Chapter 1

Maddie's p.o.v

...Valak killed him throwing its head. It was yet another victorious demonic attack. I giggled finishing my story. I closed the laptop while resting my head on the head rest of the chair I sat. I'm a writer, I write comedy which surprisingly people call horror, what was horrifying was their lack of humor.

I loved Valak so much, he was the character I loved using in my stories, he was so strong and hilarious. If only I could make my characters come to life. My door opened and I turned looking at my mom Blair. She thinks staying in the darkness is creepy. Who hates the darkness? Not me nor Valak.

"Mom, what again?" I stood up when she switched on the light. Facing her, I leaned on my reading desk. I always imagined pushing her down the stairs one of this days, I grinned at the thought.

"What's wrong with you Madd? Can't you act like every other teenager? Don't make me seize your laptop. Its minutes past your bedtime and you are still writing those useless stories of yours. You've got school tomorrow, you don't want me using force on you on your last day before summer break, would you?!" She yelled frustrated. I'm not a rebel, but I don't listen at times.

"Yeah, okay. Can I have my privacy?" With Valak. I loved the demon so much. Which was weird and unheard of, not that it mattered to me.

Mom huffed angrily. "You.. You know what? Your cousins are coming to stay with you this summer, each day you become more...more you." My cousins? Oh no way. I have a younger brother Kian and he was much less a pain than my cousins, he's 12.

"No one's coming here mom." I stated. My cousins were too nice for my liking, they always want me to give up writing like give up Valak. How can I do such? I like them at times, but they were what one could call, touchy, clingy, likey and the likes. Oh they were horrible.

Mom sighed coming to me, she looked over my shoulders at my closed laptop.

"Madd hunni I won't do anything to hurt you. I'm helping you princess, but you are not helping yourself." Here we go again, this was like the tenth pep talk this week. I was tired of all these. Honestly, I loved my quiet life.

"Of course you won't." I scoffed moving away before she goes all touchy feelings on me. I'm not a sadist or a bitch, I just hate emotions, and mom gets emotional rather all the time.

She came closer to me as I laid on the bed. She doesn't care about personal space either. She sat down at the foot of the bed. "Maddie." I sat up at the far end looking at her.

"Mom I don't like Bella one bit, Claire is well, okay, not that I want any of them here." Those are my cousins. Bella is the nicer one so I hated her more, while her elder sister barely talked to me, that I loved. "The thing is mom,  I love being alone with Valak." She raised a brow at the name. "Or just alone." I quickly added staring at my closed laptop, I could stay all day writing stories if allowed.

I don't need a curfew or whatever, my curfew is after school, the only place I go to. I don't follow my mom to church, I'm an atheist. I believe in can't see or hear you, then don't know you. Mom literally cried the day she found out my belief. Unlike me, Kian is a Christian.

"Madd I know, but you need friends and since you can't make them, hang out with your cousins often. For me baby?" I hated this conversation, I hated this spilling emotion, I hated this mother to daughter heart talk and now I hated my cousins for indirectly placing me in such situation.

"Fingers crossed fine. But I don't want Bella anywhere close to my room." Bella was my age mate but two months younger, yet she was so playful and childish. I added the fingers crossed cause as much as I loved mom, I would still harm Bella when the need arises.

I broke her leg once, we were like 12 and she being she, got on my nerves. I totally told my aunt, her mom, that it was an accident, but it wasn't. You'd get to hate Bella when you meet her, I don't hide my disgust for her. Mom reached over to hold my hand but I glared at her. What else was she looking for?

"Fine, I'd go. Bella and Claire would be home when you get back." They live like 30 miles away so distance wasn't the thing. Bella was a blondie while her sister had curly black hair. Mom stood up to go but I stopped her. She looked at me in surprise. 

"The lights, mom." I said while lying down to sleep. I hate school, I was not a block brain but not a straight A either. The room went dark and I closed my eyes to sleep. Hearing the room door close, I opened my eyes, I had insomnia but mom didn't know, I've had it since I was eleven or so. Kian knows cause at times he comes to stay with me, I don't know if he can't sleep like me but I don't bother.

"Madd?" A little whisper is heard outside my room, Kian.

"Come in." He opened the door jumping on the bed with me, I really liked Kian because he never acts clingy, I loved his company and sometimes he gives me idea for Valak. He was the best baby brother ever.

"Madd, I cant sleep again. I think I'm developing insomnia too." I sighed going over to my reading chair, he's also cool with darkness for my sake.

"You should try sleeping K, you are like young and need it." He sighed in understanding. "Bella and her sister are coming this summer." He loves them both. Of course he's social, its not a genetic issue. I faintly see his face light up,  he was like my best friend.

"You're not breaking her leg again, right?" I chuckled evily, I might. I told him about the 'incident', as I often justify my self saying it was an accident. Even Bella thinks of it as such.

"I don't want them to come but mom is not listening to me, I just wished they'd bail on her." He laughed, I heaved and rubbed my forehead. He knows how much I hate them, who knows if Claire would become like Bella soon.

"I'll try persuading her, not that she'll listen but I'll say whatever comes to my head. I kinda like Bella you know, why can't they have a brother my age?" He groaned on my bed while I relaxed on the seat. He loved having friends, we were polar opposite.

"Speaking of age, I rarely see Susan, you both okay?" Susan was his childish crush, the girl likes him a lot and even if she always tells him I'm creepy, I like her too. He laughed and sat up.

"Susan wanted me to come over for a play date saying she couldn't come here, why? Cause she's scared of our basement. During a heated argument,  I slipped and told her I was scared of her dog too, yet. And she got real pissed off." My eyes widened for a minute before it closed as a loud laugh escaped me. Susan does not have a dog, she's cute and all but her mom looks like a bull dog. And that's what Kian meant, I've seen her once and I confirmed it, she was so wierd.

"You did not!" I squealed surprised. We never told Susan about calling her mom a dog, but he had insinuated it. I really am proud of him, he's like a living Valak.

"I totally did. I didn't mean to but saying she hated our perfect basement and you being creepy and the lots caused it. I regretted it soon after." He added the last part with a sad tone, I went to him and sat down on the bed, leaving good space. I wasn't touchy

"I am creepy by the way." I started and he smiled. I know what I do and frankly I love it, being in the dark and talking to characters of your story was creepy, talk more of everyone seeing your stories as horrifying and to me, its humor filled. Everything screamed creep and I was proud of it. "But that doesn't mean she should always rub it in." I added, I'm not giving him a pep talk, more like trying to blame her.

"I know right? I never complained about her mom's look, plus I love you the way you are." I've never loved anyone except Valak, and he's not real. I also love my stories, a lot. I like my mom and brother. I deeply cared for Kian though.

"She should be grateful you even acknowledge her." I reasoned looking at my phone screen, it was morning, crap. "Alright Kian go to bed, its morning already." I said, standing up to arrange my reading chair properly under my table. My bed was close to the door, so he could leave without stumbling or anything.

"Alright Madd, good morning, expect me soon." He giggled leaving. He always woke me up by doing something really crazy. I smiled closing the door to sleep. I am not a sad child. Infact, I laughed often, just when with the right person.

Laying down, I drifted to my usual one hour sleep.

First chapter's out finally. It took me days writing and rewriting this chapter.
Nothing scary is yet to surface but soooooon