Chapter 23

My back was starting to ache from being bound to the headboard, yes, Valak cuffed me to the headboard. Just this morning and I'm guessing he felt I got too comfortable, which I did.

Stupid stupid demon.

I wriggled uncomfortably before groaning in annoyance. He walked in right on cue with a plate of mashed potatoes. It smelled nice and I was really hungry, but I wouldn't fall cheaply to a plate of food until he uncuffed me.

He set the food on the bed and sat down on the chair few metres away, acting like I wasn't glaring at him.

"Eat up Beautiful." My frown deepened and he only chuckled. "I'm not removing the cuffs."

"How am I supposed to eat then?"

"With your mouth."

"How would the food reach my mouth if my wrists are cuffed?"

"Don't play smart with me." He muttered before coming to the bed and forcing my head down on the food. I jerked away from him and sent him a glare. "Eat." He ordered calmly but with a note of finality.

I eyed him in annoyance as he sat down. He was strict on me today, stricter than usual.

"You're mean to me."

"I'm holding you hostage." He replied in a dry tone while rubbing his forehead. I could see he was stressed, I however ignored it.

He sighed audibly before standing up noisly and leaving the room, making sure to bang it.

I was sure he was not alright, but I couldn't care less. Not anymore. I stared at the food hard and next minute I started hearing voices.

"Maddie." It was a low call and I was ready to yell out Valak's name in anger. I knew I was hungry, but not this hungry. The food was reaching was to me!

"You sure you know what you're doing?" I heard a light voice whisper, so light I almost didn't get it. And it was familiar. I felt a tingle on my right arms, like a soft touch on someone and I jolted.

"We're in." The first voice replied. More audibly now. It was just as familiar as the other. And they were girls.

"I'm running mad, I'm running mad." I chanted and started twisting my wrists and pulling to break free. "Valak!" I yelled in annoyance. I'm running mad.

I could hear a dim voice telling me to stop but I wasn't having it. I kept yanking at my wrists trying to break free when a hard palm descended on my cheeks and with force.

"Did you...did you just slap her?" An amused voice asked and I groaned in pain.

"I didn't mean to. She...she was going to spoil it..."

"I gat you sis." I could hear the arrogance in this tone.

"How dare you slap me!!! If you are man enough you coward show yourself. Fucking show yourself!" Another slap came on this time harder. "Goddammit! Is this your worst? Hmm!!!! Do more. You fucking demons!!! I'm not scared." A third one came and I spat out blood on the tray of food.

That didn't stop me. I kept shouting and cursing at the thing to keep it up. It'd buy me time to alert that stupid demon if he wasn't the one behind it.

"You can only hit me! You can't kill me, you fucking moron!!! Where are you? You scared?! Show yourself..." a soft palm fell on my mouth shutting me up. A palm I couldn't even see, I could only feel everything.

"Stop it. We're trying to help you. Don't alert that demon. Its me, Bella." The familiar voice and owner of the hand spoke up. Her tone was calmer now. I bit at the invisible palm and I heard a shriek.

"Ugh. You're so difficult." That was the last thing I heard when a large thing fell on me and knocked me unconscious.

Let's go to BELLA's P.O.V

I looked at my sister then the now drifting image of Maddie. I mean come on, things didn't have to get this complicated. The more she resisted, the more we were unable to help her.

I don't want to ask Claire how she knows all she does, but I'm dying inside to know. How did she know Maddie was missing? How did she know a demon character had her? How did she even know how to communicate with her without being there physically.

It was strange how I barely knew a thing about my cousin and sister. I thought they hated one another. I mean, they can't stand each other.

Yet here we are, trying to help her get out of some insane story shit. I don't even understand what's really going on.

"Look, I know you said I should remain quiet and all but come on, I'm dying in curiosity here. Tell me all you know." Claire ignored me and kept on pounding furiously on the angry keyboard.

I looked at Maddie's imaginary figure as she slept peacefully. Or not. Claire had hit her hard.

She was not there physically, and any other person won't be able to see her until they interact with her. Atleast that's what Claire told me.

That was I slapped her. I wanted to be able to see her and now, I can. I just don't know why she was being so defensive and irrational.

"Claire stop! I'm damn serious. Tell me what I need to know." I said going towards her and the computer. She was so focused on her work it freaked me. She didn't know how to write a story, but she was here creating a plot twist or something like that.

I held her hand and she glared at me.

"I'm curious. " I pleaded but she only shrugged my hands away in force and kept on typing.

Rude much.

"I'll go talk to Mae then." I threatened but it didn't move her. It got her to only snicker. "What's so funny?"

"You are funny. Go talk to Mae. It's your cousin we're trying to save, not hers." Her eyes were still glued on the computer, she pressed the enter key then turned to me. "There." She smiled while looking at Maddie.

"There?"

"Valak is busy. Let's get her up fast." She stood up and hurried to the bathroom. I sat down on the bed and eagerly waited for her call. "Uh. Bel?"

I looked at her and my eyes widened a fraction. She came out but she was not alone. A thing, or demon was holding her by her neck tightly. A dirty bloody demon. A lady, I guess?

She had a falling head and from what I could make out, she had been decapitated once and then had the head sown back on her body. The stitch on her neck was a sign and the stitch was tearing up fast. She looked like a zombie. Scratch that, she is a zombie.

Her presence felt a little familiar. I just couldn't place how.

"Hello, cuties. Let's get to work shall we?" She asked in a sickly and disgusting voice. I bet she had a bad breath. Ugh, poor Claire.

Cuties

Why did that sound like something one person likes saying?

I gasped. And so did Claire in realization.

Mae?