Chapter 17

It had been one week and it already felt like one month living with this girl. Kian smiled stiffly at me while Claire had a wide smile on her face. Somehow,  I had missed them.

    "Maddie...you look..." Mom kept quiet,  looking for the right word. I look sickly and I knew she wouldn't say it, not here atleast.

    "Shitty." Claire opted and I smiled. She never changes, does she?

    "Yeah thanks." I replied flashing my teeth. I wonder why Bella is not here, this looks like her kind of place.

     "A week changed you...a lot." I could see the pain on mom's face,  she was not happy. I honestly wished mom was a lot more outspoken, she was too reserved and kind.

     "Its almost as if you've been going through actual hell." Kian added resting his eyes on a bruise on my arm. I adjusted and his eyes landed on mine. I really couldn't stay mad at Kian even if he deserved it.

     "I'm majorly starving." I tried to joke to ease the tension and start with the meal, but no one was smiling.

     "You heard the girl, she's fine. Now food, please?" Mae spoke up, more like ordered and dad looked at me, staring at my neck. I should have covered this damn bruises! I groaned tired of the attention.

    Claire had a smug look that said 'told you bitch' while the others held pity. Like I really need it.

     "Maddie you're not okay, you are bruised literally everywhere." Kian spoke up, surprising us all.

      "Thanks for the observation. Now that I'm not complaining, is anyone hungry?" No response. For real now? "Alright, good." I stood up and went to my room.

       I was extremely exhausted and I meant mentally. I stared at myself on the mirror. Okay this is bad, dammit Madd.  I cursed wondering why I would let such a thing slip out.

     I covered the ones that were not seen and settled on my laptop when a knock followed by an unwelcomed entry interrupted me. I turned on my chair. Claire walked in with Kian.

     "They wanted privacy. Its pretty tense down there." Kian chuckled nervously wondering if he should sit on the bed or not. Claire was already well sitted with crossed legs.

     "You can sit. Just be quiet." I turned back staring at the screen absent mindedly.

       "Kian told me the truth. You saved him." That sounded like mockery. I faked a giggle too turning serious immediately. "You still upset with him?"

      "You don't think he deserves it, right?" I asked not giving an answer. I was not upset with him, just not particularly a fan.

      "He told me why he did it." Now I turned back. It was almost as if Kian wasn't there. He didn't need to know but he was still my best bud.

      "Do enlighten me." Kian looked at me nervously.

       "It was a setup." No shit. That was one thing I picked up from the incident.
"She told me she would hurt you real bad and that I could stop that. I was naive, I just wanted you to be safe. She didn't keep to her word." He added the last part more to hinself.

       "You saw 'trustworthy' boldly inscripted on her temples huh? You are still naive." I hissed coldly.

       "Take a chill pill and let him continue." Claire defended sassily. Bitch.

      "I agreed to do what she wanted. And then that happened. She told me to tell everyone that you are the one that hurt me. I...I didn't want to do it, I swear." He paused trying to choke out a sob. Claire patted his back comfortingly.