"Wallowing, huh?" Y/N huffed as she found Newt sitting up on that cliff, staring down at their friends around the fire. "Seems like a good night for it, mind if I join?"

The blonde swiped at his face out of panicked instinct. He'd just made it painfully obvious he was crying but figured if he didn't say anything, Y/N wouldn't either. Besides, she already knew he was in a low mood. It wasn't like she was here to judge him. That's why he liked Y/N. She never made a big deal out of her own or others despair, but if they needed someone to talk to about it, she was there. She wasn't afraid to ask when people weren't okay but also knew when it was better to not ask because the answer was already obvious. Y/N was highly in touch with her own and others emotions, but because she rarely acted on that empathy, people saw her as despondent and avoidant. Newt knew she was the opposite. She was always confronting things head on inside her own mind.

"Wallowing? More like grappling with thoughts." He sighed and nodded in response for her silent request to sit beside him. "What's got you so drawn out at sea?"

Y/N stifled a laugh as she sat down. "Oh, y'know, the normal young adult crises."

"Tell me about it." He responded, throwing a rock into the abyss below.

Y/N looked to her friend and then back to the fire surrounded by people. "Newt, what are we doing?"

The boy was flooded with confusion. "Doing what?"

"Sitting up here, feeling like shit." She said. "Why are we up here when we could be down there with our friends?"

Newt shrugged. He knew but didn't want to say. Though, he was going to anyways. "They're all wanted by someone. They have people who need them. I mean, even look at Aris. He's got people who need him. I don't. It doesn't make a difference if I'm there or not."

Y/N tilt her head. "You're worried no one is ever going to love you. That you'll never be someone's first choice?"

Shocked, he looked to Y/N wide-eyed. She'd hit the nail on the head. Not like he was making it hard for her to guess or anything, though. "You say that like you're feeling the exact same thing."

Y/N laughed a little. "Maybe because I am." She admitted.

"No," Newt shook his head in disgust. "You're not even allowed to think that, alright? You know how many people were giving you eyes back at Jorge's place? You could find someone in two seconds."

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Yeah, well, do you know how many people were also eyeing you there?"

Newt narrowed his eyes. He found that hard to believe so he decided to dodge the comment. "Are you saying you were watching me? Hmm?" He leaned closer and Y/N broke in laughter.

"Well, you just admitted to watching me too!" She pushed him back and shook her head.

Newt was very quickly reminded why he'd fallen so hard for her and why those feelings never left. Y/N was his best friend. That was all he wanted in a partner. Someone who understood and laughed with him all while being able to bare some of his secrets. Y/N was, and always had been, that.

"I've been watching for a lot longer than that," He admitted. It wasn't even hard to say because he knew she was already aware.

"Yeah, I know." Y/N looked down. "I've been thinking about you for a lot longer than that too."

Newt's head perked up. "You seem so relaxed saying that."

Y/N lifted her lips lightly into a weak, sad smile. "I've been wondering for a while now...wondering if the reason we're both so miserable thinking no one wants us is because we already have someone wants us. That's why we can't find anyone. We already have them."

His pulse slowed. The blood in his veins thickened. She was speaking the truth his subconscious knew. The reason he couldn't find anyone was because he already had. He was only thinking no one wanted him because his heart was already set on someone.

"Each other?" He whispered.

Y/N found his eyes. She put her hand on his and looked down. "Yeah."

Grabbing her hand back immediately, leaving no time for her to question or regret the action she'd taken, he laughed a little. "We're kinda stubborn, huh? We've been mopping for weeks now and all we had to do was be honest."

"Whatever, that's enough heart to heart garbage for a few months," Y/N fake gagged and pulled Newt up to stand with her. "Let's go explore this place while we still have it!"

To where? Who knew. But Newt would happily follow for a walk full of laughter and climbing about on the rocks. Again, this was all he wanted. A best friend. He did have someone who had him at the centre of their universe. It felt like home. He didn't have a real home, but he did have one in her.