eighty - four - "princess tea party" - eighty - four

"As surgeons, we rely on cycles. Heartbeats. Cell regeneration. Circadian rhythms. We know something's wrong when the cycle is broken. Our duty is to fix it, to force the cogs back in line. But that break can also be useful, like a warning shot. When we come to depend on a cycle, the thought of breaking it is scary. Even if the cycle causes harm. But sometimes, when we break the cycle, we find something better, something unexpected. Something we never dared to dream was possible. We find freedom. We find peace."
-Owen Hunt, S14E5, "Danger Zone"

"Superheroes. Soldiers. First responders. That's who we think of when we think of bravery. But surgeons should make the list too. Surgeons don't wear capes or armor. We don't carry guns and no one throws us a parade, but we do fight like hell to save your life. And we're also holding a knife in our hands, knowing we might be the one to end your life. Bravery isn't always about running into the fire. Sometimes it's about facing our past. And on the hardest days, it's about facing the future."
-Meredith Grey, S14E6, "Come on Down to My Boat, Baby"

"Surgeons are scientists, trained to believe only in that which we can see and touch. But that training doesn't always take. Scientist or not, most of us who've been at this a while are forced to acknowledge the mysteries of life. We're forced to acknowledge that certain kinds of magic exist. And that history, and memory, and the ghosts of our past, are sometimes just as tangible as anything we can hold in our hands."
-Meredith Grey, S14E7, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"

"There are some disasters you just don't see coming, no matter how carefully you plan. A little surprise that changes everything. In surgery, we call it a complication. In life, it's a catastrophe. In surgery, we call it a complication, a disruption, a glitch, a nasty surprise. It calls for extreme measures. You have to react quickly, try to catch up, because it came out of nowhere. And it can take everything away."
-Meredith Grey, S14E8, "Out of Nowhere"

"There are some moments in the OR that everything goes to hell, and no matter how much you've seen, how ready you are, how much help you have, nothing can truly prepare you. You have to keep going, or your patient will die. The trouble is, in these moments, every instinct in your body tells you to freeze. So what do we do when instinct tells us to freeze? When we can't see the right answer? In those moments, it's usually a good idea to trust the instinct and say pause, because decisions made in the heat of the moment can ruin a whole lot of lives."
-Meredith Grey, S14E9, "1-800-799-7233"

"In the course of one day, Job received four messages, each with separate news that his livestock, servants, and ten children had all died. He continued to be a faithful servant. He still prays to God. He persevered. Job's faith was tested and he passed the test. And for his faith, God rewarded Job with twice what he had before. "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" That's what Jesus said on the cross before he died. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Job asked the question, too. But he kept the faith. And what did he get for it? Replacement children. PTSD. Was it worth it to have been a faithful servant? Or would it have been better to just curse God's name from the beginning? Where was God throughout all of Job's suffering and pain? He was winning a bet with Satan. Makes you wonder where He is through all of the unfairness and inequity and cruelty in the world. Where is He now?"
-April Kepner, S14E10, "Personal Jesus"

"Derek!" Anna screamed, grabbing her little brother's hand and pulling him back, stopping him from sprinting away from her, "What did I say?! Don't run off like that!"

"Sorry." Her brother mumbled, taking Zola's hand while Anna held Ellis.

"Where are we going?" Zola asked, grabbing Anna's free hand, walking with her into the store.