Enlisting help

Dante

After Greta showered and dressed, we went to grab something to eat and hang out at the beach. I also decided to ask her about this Ludwig.

We grabbed two coney dogs and drinks, finding a table to sit. While we ate, I asked Greta.

"Who's Ludwig?" I asked, biting into my coney dog.

Greta lowered her coney dog and looked at me with confusion. "How do you know about Ludwig?" She questioned.

"Hans mentioned the name. I thought I would ask because with Hans, you never know," I reasoned. It was a viable answer, considering half the time I didn't understand what the hell Has was saying.

Greta put her coney dog down on the sleeve. "Ludwig was a man who took us in from the orphanage. We thought he rescued us until we realized he wanted to eat us," Greta said.

I stopped eating and looked at Greta.

"Hans and I locked him in an oven and escaped. We traveled from Germany to the states stowing away on a boat, then lied to survive. It's not something I'm proud of, but I didn't want to die either," Greta told me.

"And Cedric?" I asked.

"I met Cedric in college and thought he was unique, then found out I was a beard," Greta answered with a sigh.

"What's a beard?" I asked curiously.

"It's when a gay man uses a female to keep their sexuality hidden. I wouldn't have cared, but he lied to me just like Ludwig," Greta replied. I could hear the hurt in her voice.

"I'm not a fan of lying. I find it stupid and hurtful. You gain nothing when you lie to someone," I reasoned.

Greta looked at me in awe. I know most people think it's necessary to spare someone's feelings, but when the truth happens, it does more harm than good.

"So, about what happened in the hotel room," Greta mentioned as I ate my coney dog. "I don't regret it."

"Good, because I don't regret it either," I replied as a smile curled upon my lips.

I watched Greta smile. She had a beautiful smile. We finished our meal, then went walking along the beach. I wanted to spend time with Greta without issues. I had a feeling those issues wouldn't stay hidden.

As we walked, I reached for Greta's hand and slid my hand into it, interlocking our fingers.

"How are we managing to do everything backward?" Greta asked me as we walked.

"I don't think we started in an orthodox way. Most people don't start married, then go backward," I mentioned, making Greta laugh.

I chuckled.

"I will say that you've been a good sport about it, considering most guys would think I'm insane," Greta replied.

I stopped and faced Greta. She looked at me, curiously. "Even if we weren't pretending, if you asked, I would have agreed to come and protect you," I said truthfully.

I reached up and moved a strand of hair behind Greta's ear. The truth is that I felt drawn to Greta, unlike the other women in my life. Something deep inside me wanted to protect her. My dad explained that we have loyalty to the people we care about in our lives. He felt the same way about my mom when they met.

I leaned down and captured Greta's lips with mine, then deepened it. What I didn't know is how much that loyalty would come into play with Greta at the expo when I encountered Ludwig.