XXXII- team building

Everyone was up bright and early for the first day of activities. (Y/n) was bracing herself for the hell that she could easily be plunged into considering the people in her group, worrying about it on its own had exhausted her of a significant amount of energy.

"I just don't like it." Gabriel said with a shudder. "I don't like the thought of you up there."

The first activity for her group was wall climbing and though there were harnesses, helmets and plenty of safety measures this still was not enough for Gabriel. The protective population of the school was taken into account with optional lower risk activities for those with protective partners who desire it, but as much as Gabriel would've liked for (Y/n) to take that route he knew that they weren't in a romantic relationship and his dominion over her was to be kept secret.

He winced at the thought of (Y/n) plummeting to her death... Or falling three feet to sustain a small cut. Both were equal and utterly catastrophic in his mind, Gabriel was sure his heart wouldn't survive either scenario though he'd force himself to soldier on in the latter.

"No one's ever died or had something go seriously wrong here." She said.

"I know." Gabriel responded, he'd done enough research on this place and all of the offered activities to know the rigorous safety measures though they weren't quite enough for him. "And I don't want you to be the first."

(Y/n) rolled her eyes with a soft smirk and nudged Gabriel's side playfully. While he wasn't that pleased with her jokey dismissal of his genuine concern he did appreciate that she seemed to be warming up to him. Whether (Y/n) had just grown used to his ways or was actually beginning to see things the way Gabriel did was unknown to him but he also didn't mind much about the why of it all.

The whole point of the exercise was for mentors and mentees to work together to climb the wall with one on the floor holding the rope while the other climbed and then switching.

"You should go first." Gabriel said confidently to her. "I don't want to be tired out when I'm supporting you."

(Y/n) had grown better at picking her battles when it came to Gabriel, it was a miracle he was allowing her to even go on this trip so she should count that as a victory in itself.

She put on all the protective equipment and stayed dead still when Gabriel tugged at the harness to make sure it wasn't going to fail her, the two of them were so close as he did this and (Y/n) wasn't sure he was even noticing quite how intimate their positioning could be perceived to be.

But she did.

And so did someone else.

"You guys should get started." Both (Y/n) and Gabriel jumped slightly in shock at the sudden voice of Wes, their supervisor. "All the other pairs have."

(Y/n) glanced to the wall and then back at Gabriel who was scowling at Wes... Nope, she wouldn't let this become another protective vs sadistic thing, it was simply too tiresome.

"Yeah, come on, Gabriel." (Y/n) said, swatting his hands away.

"Of course you would want us to begin before I'm sure it's fully safe." Gabriel spat.

Wes's eyebrows knitted inwards. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know exactly what it means."

(Y/n) whacked Gabriel's arm lightly to silence him. "We'll get going right now. Thanks, Wes."

The third year smiled softly at the object of his affection, managing to avoid the death glare that came from her mentor.