XXVI- time bomb

Gabriel clicked his tongue when (Y/n) hung up, she was... Uninfected, she didn't get how he felt. Without her around he needed constant reassurance that she was indeed safe and not falling prey to someone or something awful.

It provided him some comfort that her mother was protective but at the end of the day it was in his nature to trust no one but himself to effectively protect her. But he couldn't expect her understand.

It would be tedious trying to explain it to someone like her, all he could do was try to make her sympathise with his position. Maybe if Gabriel was able to step back and really see how this was affecting (Y/n) he could try and fight the anxiety that came with her absence for her sake.

But alas, he could not.

Gabriel was stuck between a rock and hard place, he wished to keep (Y/n) safe while also accomodating to her needs as an uninfected person.

She thought differently, she didn't have the same priorities or morals as him or anyone else he'd ever met and it made caring for her astronomically harder than it needed to be.

He nervously picked at a band aid on his hand as it began to lose its tackiness. Gabriel tried to slow his breathing and take his mind off of all the horrible things that could be happening to (Y/n) without him by her side.

She was likely happy in that moment, she had a loving family who cared about her and he was so happy that she had that kind of positive influence. He'd never had that sort of upbringing but wouldn't wish any of the things he went through upon (Y/n), not in a million years.

Gabriel gazed at his phone, he wanted to call her again. He needed to hear her voice and know that she was safe and sound.

"Fuck..." He sighed out while resisting the urge to contact her again.

Being in love was harder than he thought it would be.

"It looks good, right?" Lloyd asked Frankie.

Frankie nodded boredly, his shrine for (Y/n) had only grown as it seemed to everyday. "Are you okay?" She asked. "You seem... On edge?"

"What do you mean?" Lloyd questioned with a maniacal grin, before his mentee could speak again he began to chuckle to himself. "(Y/n) has gone out of school for the night and guess that has me..." He gulped some saliva down his dry throat. "It has me a little overwhelmed."

The glaring rash he had was now visible as it crept onto the back of his hands and his neck.

"I think you should go see a doctor, Lloyd." Frankie said sincerely. There were symptoms that arose from being away from your lover as the strain became aggravated but they weren't usually this aggressive or happened so quickly. Lloyd's discomfort became evident the very second (Y/n) was out of sight- that wasn't typical for anyone.

"Oh, it's fine. My parents are doctors and they've both assured me this is perfectly... Perfectly normal." He speeded through his words like his life depended on saying them in the shortest amount of time possible.

Frankie shifted uncomfortably where she was sat, it wasn't the stalking or the obsession that made her feel weird around Lloyd but more his unhinged nature.

"She's so perfect..." He whispered, picking up a picture carefully so it didn't affect the rest of the blue display. It was a candid photo, the edge of the paper was jagged where Wes had been ruthlessly cut out.

Lloyd traced his finger around (Y/n)'s face, he'd done a little research and had found out that her parents met at A.L.F.E.- didn't she see how perfect that was? He was an obsessive and she was a protective just like her father and mother had been respectively. They say history repeats itself, right?

He awaited the day that maybe (Y/n)'s protective instincts would leap out and she'd go to defend him. That would be nothing short of a dream come true...

"Did you hear what I said?" Frankie repeated in frustration.

"Huh- what?" Lloyd's head flicked into his mentee who was already halfway out the door.

"I have to go, but I'll see you around." She said shortly.

"Oh... Right, okay. Goodbye, Frankie." Lloyd didn't know what had her in such a huff. His nose twitched uncontrollably as he felt his rash acting up again, Lloyd put the photo back where it belonged with care  and then vigorously scratched the back of his hand.

It was red and flared up, bumps of dry and dead skin collected under his overgrown fingernails and blood began to appear in areas that he had broken his skin.

Wes hated the weekends for the most part.

He could usually mostly avoid his sadistic housemates during the week due to lessons, extracurriculars and such. But on weekends there was little opportunity to escape. Going into town was nice but it was the same place every week and could grow tiring.

His phone seemed to glisten as he was pretty tempted to shoot (Y/n) a text, he held back though. (Y/n) was seeing her family and deserved to pay them her full attention while she was with them.

He wasn't sure why he missed her more than usual, maybe it was becuase at least at school he knew her time was being taken up by Gabriel, someone she had remarkably little respect for. While he didn't like that Gabriel was hogging all of (Y/n)'s time, Wes at least knew that she would rather be with him over her mentor.

With her family those were people who she loved and cared for more than she cared about Wes. Her past life was actual competition for him because whenever (Y/n) would indulge him with speaking about her past it seemed like she had a pretty wholesome time leading up to her diagnosis.

He didn't know of the things she didn't mention like her brother's traumatic mental break, but, other than her parents, Harvey was the only person who knew about that.

A crash followed by a cry of pain came from beyond the four walls of his room and Wes winced. Pining after (Y/n) while simultaneously wanting to see her bleed out was a strange combination, he tried not to indulge himself with too many sadistic thoughts surrounding her though. Wes wouldn't allow himself to hurt (Y/n) no matter how much that tiny voice in his head told him that it was a show of love, that was his strain talking.

All that he felt was utter shame when Wes would get lost in romantic fantasies about (Y/n) only for them to turn dark and often ended with her a sobbing heap on the floor with multiple broken bones.

He touched his lip softly, he wouldn't let that come true. He had to do something... Anything to stop himself from hurting her.

But sometimes preventing those instincts felt impossible.