Episode 20: Welcome Party

The welcoming and victory party happened the following week. Everyone in the palace was busy the whole week, preparing for the party. Father had decided to spend three days to celebrate the victory of the war. Everyone, even the commoners were excited and talking about it everywhere. During the week, with everyone being busy, no one was able to distract us. When I said no one, I mean no one entered my room, except the maids and butlers who occasionally entered the room to clean or ask if I needed anything when they remembered that I existed. As for food and everything, Luciel usually went to town to get us food, or I went to the town myself to get food. Everything pretends I wasn't there and I am used to getting my own food so I don't mind. Sometimes, Luciel and I would go hunting and cook food in the west wing, where no one would bother us. We can be missing for days and no one would notice.

During this time, I would see Dawn frequency. She usually was in her room, when the servants were looking for her. Otherwise, she was wandering outside the palace. How did I know? Well, I usually saw her wandering around in town in ordinary clothes, shopping, or playing around. She finds everything interesting and when she knows that I also went to town, she would tag along and ask questions. I don't mind her. She is in good company and she doesn't judge. Although Dawn has a thing about cleanliness, she is not annoying at all. We would talk about all sorts of things, such as her hometown, different types of food, and different types of weapons.

On the day of the festival, everyone was celebrating, including the people in the castle. I have to stay with the soldiers in front of Father to get acknowledged and rewarded. There was a ball that night as well so that day, a lot of servants were running around me, getting me ready for the ball. It is pretty ironic how when I was not needed, no one remembers that I existed while when people needed me, people were all around me. I was put into a dark blue suit with a black cape on with chains and blue patterns. It is a very fitting outfit for me and I liked the fact that it is not too fancy for me. Luciel was in the room, changed to his black suit. He was also going to the ball with me, surprisingly since he doesn't like where there are crowds.

When I walked out of the room, I was bumped into Dawn, who was also invited to the ball. She was wearing a purple shoulderless dress with a high-low skirt that was decorated with yellow stars, a pair of purple gloves that reached a little over her elbows, purple necklace, and a pair of purple laced shoes. Her blue hair was let down and half of her hair was pinned up by a couple of yellow star pins. Her eyes sparkled as she rushed over and waved at me.

"Paul! You looked dashing, as always. The outfit looks very good on you! Luciel, your suit is beautiful as well. You two cleaned up nicely!" Dawn said with smiles.

"You looked beautiful too, Dawn. Your dress is beautiful," Luciel said.

"Aww. Thank you Luciel. I am in love with this dress too. Say, why don't we go together?" Dawn said.

"Why not. What do you think, my little Guardian?" Luciel asked.

I looked at Luciel and frowned a little. "Did you already decide for me?" I looked at Dawn and bowed while holding out my hand. "You looked nice."

Dawn smiles before she puts her hand on mine and holds my arm as she sticks next to me. "Thank you, Paul! That is very nice of you."

Luciel walked behind us as we walked toward the ballroom. He chucked behind us. "You two looked like you were wearing a couple's dress. Dawn is wearing the color of my guardian's eyes and my guardian is wearing the color of Dawn's eyes. It is very cute."

"Really? I think it is cute too," Dawn giggled. I decided not to enter the conversation as I have no idea what they are talking about and I don't think it will do any good if I talked.

As we walked closer to the ballroom, we heard noises of the people getting louder and a long line of people waiting to get in. Ladies wearing all colors of dresses with different jewelry and men in their best suits. The servants standing in front of the door welcomed each guest and checked for their invitation before allowing them to go in.

When we got into the room, we saw a lot of people. Ladies were in their own little groups, talking and gossiping while men were in their own groups talking business. Servants were running around, serving people with drinks and snacks. Father, Mother, and Reggie have not arrived yet so everyone is cheerful and freely talked about anything. A lot of people looked at us when they saw us walking past. I can hear their whispers about me but I get used to it. The people distance themselves away from us or away from me while they talk to each other behind their fans or behind their hands. They are not being very discreet about it.

"They are so disrespectful! In the Ice Kingdom, no one talked about the royal family," Dawn said as she listened to the people.

"Don't worry about it," I whispered.

Dawn glanced at everyone around her and gave her the brightest smile. "Not that I really cared about anything but it shows how the kingdom is. If the people are disrespectful, what does it say about the kingdom? If grandpa is here, everyone would be frozen to death!"

Luciel chuckled quietly and looked around, creating gasps and feathers around the people. "I agree. But we are used to it," he said.

We were walking around, talking when the doors opened again. The royal family arrived and the ball officially started.