Episode 13: Siblings

I slowly opened my eyes and let my eyes adjust with the light. The first thing I saw was not a bright light but a face staring at me. The pair of blue eyes were looking at me with wonder and the long blue hair fell from her face and tickled my skin. 'Who is she?' I thought. The girl must have noticed my opened eyes were staring at her before she turned red and she pushed my chest. Her face was moved away from her face and I can hear her standing up and running away.

"Big brother! Big brother! He is alive!" the girl screamed.

I can hear another set of footsteps walking toward me along with the footsteps of the girl's. It seemed to be her big brother. Why would they say that I was dead though? I feel weak and numb on my body and cannot sit up so I can only lay on the ground. I didn't even know where I was. I sighed as there is nothing I can do except for just laying there. I can feel a pair of hands around my waist as the person helps me sit up and lean against something, like a wall. Once I sat up, I was met with a male that seemed to be a few years older than me with red hair and a pair of dark eyes. Standing behind him was the blue-headed girl, who was looking at the male with interest. I looked around at my environment and I was shocked. All around me was ice, like an igloo but in the shape of a house. I never saw an ice house before as Louis said that ice buildings were in the Ice Kingdom, where it snows pretty much all year round and everyone there had mostly ice magic. In the ice igloo, I can see the storm outside. I can see the wind divided by the house and the snow attacking the sides of the walls. What is more interesting is the fact that the ice was not cold. It was actually warm and it is not melting under the heat.

"I am sorry, sir, for my sister's mistake. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. As of right now, you must be cold. Have some stew. It was just made and is still warm. It will keep your body warm," the male said as he handed over a bowl with a spoon.

I can feel my arms slowly getting their energy back as I took the spoon slowly and began to feed myself. Although it takes a while for me to finish the bowl, I was able to enjoy it and feel the heat return to my body. The first thing I did once I could move was to look for my sword. Which was thankfully right next to me. The female and the male were sitting by the low fire in the middle and eating well, not bothered by me as if we had been friends forever.

The female noticed that my bowl was empty before she refilled it and gave me another bowl without asking me first. I was confused but I cannot reject the warm stew. We eat in silence and when everything is done, the two throw the bowls, spoons, and the pot into the fire and watch it melt and only then I realize that it was made out of ice.

"So, I know that you must have a lot of questions. I will try my best to explain everything and then answer your questions. You may wonder who we are and why we are not attacking you. It is simple. We know who you are, or rather, we don't know who exactly you are but we were able to tell that you are no danger to us. My name is Kenny and the girl you see is my sister, Dawn. We are from the Ice Kingdom and are on an errand. You can say that we have ice powers and when we were on the move, we used magic to create everything and the food you ate was bought a few days ago," the male, Kenny replied.

Louis had taught me that if someone gives me their name, I need to introduce myself too before anything. "My name is Paul. What is the storm you are talking about?"

Kenny looked at Dawn who was sitting behind her and she looked at us before jumping up and sitting down close to us. "Nice to meet you, Paul! As you know, I am Dawn! The storm you are talking about is this blizzard. You see, every year, my mother, the Winter Fairy, has to bless the lands with snow, and every year, there will be one big snowstorm. I was the descendant of my mother and I had received her powers so when I turned of age, I needed to follow in my mother's footsteps. Usually, it is the fairies doing the job but Grandpa said that it would be good for me if I can see how much power I need to use and to see the world," Dawn explained.

"Then what about next week?" I asked, remembering their conversation.

"This storm was supposed to happen next week but due to Dawn's outburst, the storm came earlier," Kenny replied as he glared at Dawn.

"I said I am sorry, Big Brother. It is not my fault!" Dawn pouted.

Getting the answer I wanted, I nodded my head. I still have a lot of questions I wanted to ask them but I think that it would not be appropriate to ask them at this time, especially when we had just met. Dawn went out of the icebox for a while before walking in and sat back down.

"Big brother. It is getting late. Shall we get going now?" Dawn asked Kenny as she looked outside.

Kenny looked outside too and thought for a while. "I guess we should. It is about noon already. We need to get to the next town soon." Then Kenny looked at me. "Do you need to go back home?"

"Yes. I do," I replied as I stood up and grabbed my sword, and made sure that my cape was on properly.

We left the icebox to the storm outside while Dawn started melting the ice down. Soon, everything was melted down and it seemed as if nothing was there in the first place. The siblings lead me to the main road of the city and give me the instructions to where the inn will be before they waved goodbye and walked away into the snow. They disappeared soon after into the snow and no footstep was being left behind. I looked at the blank space in front of me and turned around to go back. If what they said was right, I had been gone from the inn for about seven hours already. I am wondering what the men were doing right now. But before anything, I would need to talk with Luciel first.