Episode 22: Confront Your Enemies

"Her whole being," Dawn said, not bothering to hide her dislike towards Princess Veronica. Her eyes show her anger at the princess as if the princess owes her a lot of money.

This makes me more curious about Dawn. From the first time I met Dawn till now, she is always cheerful and happy. She can also be clumpy sometimes but she is a powerful magician. When I was near her, I could feel the coldness of her aura, which comes from her ice and snow magic. While she is carefree and let people's guard down subconsciously, she has walls surrounding her, keeping the other away. It is as if all this time, she is wearing a mask to hide her true figure. That is what I thought before being her to the castle. During the time in the castle, Dawn was not surprised at the number of maids or the decorations in the rooms. She was able to get along with the noble ladies and the maids. She had manners of a noble, shocking all the servants in the castle. She didn't try to get the favor of the people in the castle or bother anyone. It is as if she had lived in such an environment her whole life. Now in this ball, she seems to know a lot of the higher-ups in the room and didn't bother to socialize even a bit. Her eyes look down on the people as if they were her subject. She also even knows May, who is the crown princess of the Fire Kingdom and is one of her close friends.

It is frightening to have someone you don't know much about near you. Dawn ever once leaks any details about her, even when she talks with my soldiers or with others. When she did, she would always have an excuse ready. With someone like that next to you, you never know if they were speaking the truth or a lie. You also will never know if they will one day betray you and stab you on the back. That is what makes Dawn so interesting and intriguing at the same time. She is this puzzle that is not easy to solve.

Luciel and I watched her and then looked at Princess Veronica that was being introduced by Reggie to other nobles. I am curious about what makes Dawn hate my brother's fianceé so much. It is obvious that they had a history together but I wonder what is it that can make Dawn hate her so much. This shows that Veronica is not as easy as she seems.

Princess Veronica must have noticed that Dawn was glaring at her because she looked over at us and then talked to Reggie for a bit. Reggie looked at us, a bit surprised before nodding and smiling at Veronica. The couple talked with the nobles for a few more minutes before they walked toward us.

Luciel and I were a bit surprised that Reggie and Veronica were walking toward us since it had been years since we last saw each other. As we got closer, I noticed that Reggie had grown older. He had become taller and more mature. Dawn on the other hand was not surprised at all, or rather I should say that her facial expression didn't change at all. The frown was still on her face as if it was permanently glued there and she didn't even bother to conceal the dislike towards Princess Veronica in her eyes.

"Greetings, Crown Highness. Greetings, Crown Princess" Luciel, Dawn, and I greeted them as they were in front of us.

"Brother! I am so happy to see you here! I thought that you don't like balls and crowds since you never come, even with an invitation," Reggie greeted us.

"It is an honor that you remembered us, Crown Prince. Congratulations on your engagement. It was quite surprising," I said.

Reggie smiles and sighs. "I told you before, you don't have to give me any formalities," Reggie said.

"I am sorry but it would not be proper," I replied.

Reggies sighs again before looking at Veronica. "Veronica, this is my younger brother, Paul, and his guardian, Luciel. Next to them is a special guest of ours, Lady Dawn. Brother, Luciel, and Lady Dawn, this is my fianceé, Veronica. She is from the Wind Kingdom."

Luciel and I looked at Veronica for a second and nodded, to show our acknowledgment and Veronica looked at us with judgment. Dawn looked at her with criticism and disinterest.

"It is nice to meet the younger brother of my fiancé. if Reggie didn't bother to introduce us, I may never know you," Veronica said with a smile.

I looked at her without any emotions while Luciel began to show his dislike. Dawn looked at her and took a sip of the drink in her cup. "My, Princess Veronica's manner is so good. Why don't you just be direct and say that Prince Paul is not significant enough to be even introduced to you, hm?" Dawn said in a kind voice with a closed-eyed smile. I can't even hear the dislike in her voice.

"Please don't twist my words like that, Lady Dawn," Veronica said gently.

"Oh, so I must mishear you. Your vocabulary was so advanced that I don't understand. Crown Prince, you get yourself a great fianceé," Dawn complimented, even though it sounds like sarcasm instead.

"Lady Dawn is praising me too much. I am just a normal princess. It is my luck that Prince Reggie is my fiancé," Veronica said. She turned and smiled at Reggie and hooked her arms around his left arm.

"Don't belittle yourself, Veronica. You are a wonderful princess," Reggie smiled.

"Crown Prince and Crown Princess, please don't give dog food to us single dogs. It is a relief that you have a mutual attraction toward each other. Aren't you going to greet other guests?" Dawn asked with a smile.

Reggie looked at Dawn and smiled. "Lady Dawn is correct. Then we will leave now. I will see you around, Brother."

Luciel, Dawn, and I looked as the couple walked away. Dawn finished the rest of her drink in one big gulp and handed her glass to a servant. "She hasn't changed at all over the years," Dawn said.

"I don't like her at all. I wonder what your brother sees in the lady. She is like a proud peacock," Luciel said. "I am so wounded by her."

"She is a proud peacock. To be honest, Peacock is her last name, and proud is her middle name. She always looked down on those below her," Dawn commented before looking out at the window behind us.

"You seem to know her well," I said to Dawn.

"Oh, I know her enough for me to not like her," Dawn replied.