Episode 19: Back Home

A few months after we had captured the capital and win the war, it was time for us generals to return home. As we travel from the front back to the palace, we were greeted with civilians, celebrating our return. The soldiers were all happier and freer. Everything seems to be peaceful. I never feel more relieved but I know that when I returned back to the palace, I would be restricted again. It was around the time Reggie should be crowned as the crown prince so I don't think Mother and Father want time to get involved. The most they can do is to restrict me from being seen in the public and getting connections from the people all around. The last time I had heard from them, Luciel said that it is possible that Father is going to send me back to the front to secure the borders or he would marry me off at a political wedding. I sincerely hoped that Father would send me back to the borders. I would be freer there. I also don't want to be restricted anymore. If I can, I want to move far away, where no one will ever know me.

When we entered the palace, the civilians were all outside, greeting us. There were the parents of the soldiers, who cried at the return of their children or were looking through the lines to see if their children were back. Some wives and children waved at their husbands. Young women and men looked at the soldiers with admiration. For some reason, I felt envious of my men. They have someone to return to when they return home but not me. I have to return to my gilded cage, where I have to watch where I step and talk and where I have to face fake people.

We stopped at the gate to the castle, where Father, Mother, and Reggie greeted us. They gave a speech to congratulate us on winning the war and other flattery. They talked about how grateful the people were of the people and how we are doing a great service for the kingdom. They also said that they will honor those who had perished in the war and honor those who had returned. "In the next week, we are going to honor the men who had battled in war and shed blood for their country. I announced that next week will be a week of celebration for everyone who returned safely and for those who had perished on the battleground."

Everyone cheered at what Father had said. When the crowd dispersed and went back to their homes with their family, I was escorted to the loyal room by a servant with Luciel behind me and Dawn. After the war, Dawn wanted to travel back to the palace with me. It turns out that she was the friend that May was visiting that day. She was wearing a light blue dress shoulderless dress that reached to her knees and decorated with snowflakes and a short transparent blue cape that reached to her knees and a hood that she put on. Her hair was in a single braid and she had on a pair of white gloves and crystal shoes. On her neck were a crystal necklace and a pearl ring in her left ring finger. Once we entered the loyal room, Father and Mother were sitting in the king's and queen's seat while Reggie was standing behind Father, showing that he had authority and most importantly, it shows his significance to the king.

"Rise. Who is this young lady standing behind you?" Father asked after he told us to stand up.

Dawn was a beautiful girl. Her facial structures were rare in our kingdom. It is no surprise for people to know that she is a foreigner and her outfit shows that she is not a commoner either. I don't know much about Dawn during the few months I had known her so I don't know what to say.

"Your Majesty, this servant is from a foreign land. I come here with His Highness during my vacation. I hope that Your Majesty doesn't mind," Dawn said as she bows.

"You are such a beautiful girl. What's your name and where are you from?" Mother asked.

Dawn smiled. "This servant's name is Dawn. Where I am from, I cannot say. I am in no means, an enemy."

Mother looked at Dawn and nodded, before looking away, uninterested. I guess Mother would be more interested in Dawn if she were to have a higher social status and from another big kingdom because Dawn is pretty and if she was useful, it is good to have Dawn by Reggie's side. However, with the first glance at Dawn, you can tell that she is from a noble family, maybe higher, and has education. You cannot tell if she would be useful or found any information about her.

"Since you are a guest, Miss Dawn, you are free to stay at the palace. I will call a servant to prepare a room for you," Father said.

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Dawn replied.

"Butler, please send Miss Dawn, the Second Prince, and the Dark Lord to their rooms," Father said, ending our short meeting.

Once I get into my room, I sit down on the sofa and lean back while looking at the ceilings. I was in ten East Wing again and I still cannot get used to everything. Everything seems expensive and too bold. After the years of being in the West Wing, the tower, and the battlefront, I don't get used to things being extra. I sighed.

"I would never get used to him, hmm? Say, Luciel. When do you think we will be free from here?" I asked Luciel.

Luciel was sitting across from me with his legs crossed and flipping through a book. He looked at me and closed the book. "Maybe soon. I am not sure, Little Guardian. We just need to be patient for the opportunity."