Episode 3: Magic

I never really left the West Wing after Reggie dragged me out from the comfort of my room, however, when I did go out, I can explore in a bigger area than I usually can but I would grow weak after being in the sun for too long. My parents allowed me to play with Reggie, but only when there were no visitors. It is as if they tried to hide me away and out of sight from everyone else. Not saying it nicely but it is as if they were ashamed of me. Since the last gathering, I was able to conclude that no one knew that I existed. Not that I am bothered or anything, no one ever treats me anything special, except for Louis, so I don't have many expectations of being a prince. From what I can see from the visitors and the tea parties, being a prince would be a lot of work, and being someone who doesn't like strangers around me, it is a good thing that I am not recognized.

I sometimes wonder if Reggie needed me to play with him. To be honest, he has a lot of friends so he can always just make Mother or Father allow his friends to come to the palace. But no, he just has to drag me. I am not complaining that Reggie likes to play, which every day he played at the garden, running around for an hour in the afternoon before leaving for an afternoon snack, I really feel that by making me play with him, he would feel less guilty, because he knew that he has a brother whose parents never cared for. I am not sad or anything.

The good thing is that Reggie and the other servants never found the gift my new friends gave me. To be honest, when I show it to Louis, his eyes widen and he smiles happily before advising me to not show it to anyone and hide it well. I didn't understand at first, until much later in life. When I first opened the gift, it was just a white crystal ball. It didn't break easily, which I figured out after it fell on the floor a couple of too many times. I didn't know what it was for so I put it on my bookshelves, behind the books. I eventually figured out what they say to 'keep in touch' after one night when I saw a bright light. Louis was sleeping in the room across from mine so I know it is not him. I stayed silent and laid still in bed with my cover over my body, thinking that it is a robber or a servant. I waited for a long time and noticed that the light is still on. I stood up and slowly walked on my bare feet quietly toward the source of the light and figured out that it is coming from the crystal ball that I hid. I take it out before taking it with me to my bed. I climbed up and covered my body and the ball with my cover and laid on my stomach with the ball in front of me. I looked at the faint light before touching it, wondering what happened. As if it knows it is me, the ball glows a little brighter before it dims and turns into a mirror.

"Hello, Paul! How are you? I hope I didn't scare you. Sorry for the long wait. We have been busy these days and thankfully, we are free tonight," Gary said as his face showed up in one of the three sections in the mirror, with the other sections showing Drew and Ash.

"What is this?" I asked, confused.

Ash sighed. From his background, I can see that he is under the covers like I am. "You don't like to speak much? You really need to express more. This is a communication ball. It runs on magic and people use it to communicate with anyone. Not a lot of people have it," Ash replied.

"Yes, and it can be dangerous too. If one didn't know, it can be used to spy on others as long as there is a mirror around. That is why this is an item most likely to be sold in the black market. To be honest, this is so rare that if anyone found it, they most likely kept it to themselves. So far, there are only sixteen in the world," Drew added.

"Oh," I said. "How do I hide it?"

"Well, we usually take it around with us. It is easy to adapt to. I mean, imagine it as a fairy. It can be turned into a ring or a necklace, or an earring or anything round. When you need it, you can just rub on it twice and then call the person you wanted to see," Gary said. "You will understand and get used to it the more you use it. Keep it close to you though."