Chapter 18 - The Escape

Catapults are launching flaming boulders onto the walls as they begin to collapse. The Northern fire nation soldiers begin rushing to the front gates of the main castle. "Hurry, quickly, they are at our doorsteps," shouts one of the men.

Before they can set up and get prepared the front gate gets splintered open and an all-out war begins. Flames from both sides burn the walls as they are fighting for survival.

On the other side of the castle, Kira and Dargan are being escorted out by a mutual family friend. "We must pick up the pace ladies they are on our trail."

They race through the halls out back to docks. Upon their arrival, they rush to throw their things in a rowboat. "Where are we to go now," questions Kira.

"As far north as you can, to safety."

"We will miss you Mr. Hasu," says Dargan with a single tear beginning to drop down her face.

"From here we can only hope for someone brave and strong to bring this nation back together," Mr. Hasu says as he pushes the boat out into the ocean. "Go to Somei Island, it's a place full of the northerners. They will help keep you safe until the south pushes up that way," he yells as they get farther into the distance.

Kira and Dargan wave as they are forced to abandon their home. The civil war between the Northern and Southern fire nation is on its way to ending. With the southern side which seeks world dominance like in Harmony are winning.

"I can't believe how much the world has changed since the massacre last year," says Kira softly.

"I know, it's like every nation split into their own country and no one keeps in touch anymore," replies Dargan.

As they both sit in silence, Kira begins going through her bag of belongings. She pulls out a letter that is still sealed. "Lydia sent this a while back but with everything going on I never had time to open and read it. She sent it almost two months ago."

"Well, what does it say Kira".

Kira begins to read the letter and presents a soft smile. "She is getting married to Talon. He proposed to her and she said she happily accepted and wants us to come to the wedding as her bridesmaids but didn't say when. That's exciting I'm glad she is having a good life and got out of the fire nation."

"She lucked out having Talon move her in with him and the Royal Air Nomads. She is gonna be the queen of the Air Nomads when she is a fire bender," states Dargan with a great big smile.

"I always told her she would be a queen one day. Hell remember when that fortune lady when we were kids said she would be the queen to a super-powerful bender," says Kira as she realizes it was true.

"Yeah I do too, looks like that old lady knew what she was talking about," laughs Dargan.

The two lay back as the wind blows their boat towards their next destination. Both look into the sky imagining an amazing life than the one they are living at the moment.

After several hours right at sunset the begin to hear the ringing of a bell. They both get up quickly and see Somei Island in the distance. They jump up and begin waving their hands as a small ship begins to make its way towards them.

As refugees pull their boat onto shore they are immediately looking for their parents.

"It's them", they hear yelling from a distance. As Kira looks over she sees both her and Dargan's parents running towards them.

They swallow one another up in a great big hug and they begin to bring them to the house. "We knew you girls would make it out the capitol," states Kira's father.

"This civil war between our nation is ridiculous," replies Dargan.

"It's almost over and the good side isn't going to win. The way it is going it looks like the ways of the old fire nation is going to be reborn," states Kira's father.

"Not if the prophecy comes true."

"What prophecy," questions Kira.

"There is a legend that on the day of the rising sun a dragon will be born. On that day the dragon will bring balance and peace to the fire nation," tells Dargan's father.

"That legend has been told for decades and even in the forgotten lands it never came true. It is nothing but a children's story," mocks Kira's father.

They all stare into the fire pit as the sunset flares across the ocean. The only hope for the refugees of Somei Island is that tomorrow will be a better day.