Chapter 19: A Step

(A bit shorter than my other chapters, but we need the backstory! Wow! I can't believe how many people are reading this story and enjoying it! Thank you so much! I hope you'll enjoy this story a little longer, because I believe we only have eight more to go and then it will be finished! Enjoy!) 

(Jeralt's POV)

                  Well, I didn't expect the two of them to follow in their mother's footsteps like this, but I should've assumed it just in case.

"First off. I don't blame any of you of what happened. My children tend to jump to the help of others without thinking of the danger they could be in" I reassured the kids.

They were looking away from me which I understand completely. Rhea stroked Sothis's head as Myrrh appeared before everyone. Their descendants also joined us as well. It looks everyone is here except for my children and their ancestors.

"Will they be ok?" Dimitri asked in a quiet voice.

"They will be fine. I'll make sure" Rhea reassured them.

I knew she wouldn't let anything happen to them. After all, she does owe me as well. I paid her back.

"What is going on?" Claude asked as he turned his attention to Rhea and me, "Ever since Mr. Einser and his family came here, everything has gone insane. I love to speculate, but seriously, this has gone on for too long. Our friends our hurt and others could've been hurt. Not to mention, we are risking our lives to save everyone. I feel like we should have a right to know what is really going on. Oh, and don't hide anything, because I will do everything I can to find the truth. I don't like being hidden from everything"

Well, he has guts to demand such a thing from Rhea, but he does have a point. I turned to Rhea who just sighed.

"It is time you learn some of the truth. We should wait for the twins to wake up to explain the rest of it though" Rhea said calmly, "I should explain an event that holds dear to all of you. The Tragedy of Duscar"

Dimitri was tensing up as Edelgard turned her head away from us.

Dimitri's father became the president of Faerghus as Those Who Slither in the Dark began to make a powerful comeback. At this point, Shamir, Catherine, Sitri, Jeralt, Holst, Glenn, and Christophe were older students at Garreg Mach. They unlocked their powers of the gods and goddesses. Everyone was working together to track down Those Who Slither in the Dark after their small attacks. It wasn't a bad idea at the time. Everyone was working hard to find the real culprit and bring them to justice. They even had support from Ionius to help find them as well. he just had his daughter around the time. Judith was even sent over when Claude was born to help those at Garreg Mach.

"Rhea! We received word about Those Who Slither in the Dark!" Seteth shouted as he ran into the meeting room.

Rhea wasn't too sure if she should send everyone to this area.

"Where is the location?" Judith asked calmly.

"It is in Faerghus, at Duscar" Seteth reported.

"Let me handle this then!" Christophe said determinedly, "That's my homeland! Heck, Glenn can come too!"

Glenn looked up from his book and sighed in annoyance at how chivalrous Christophe can be.

"Don't worry. I'll be there to keep a proper eye on them, Lady Rhea" Catherine reassured strongly.

"And, I'll watch over her" Shamir reassured her as she crossed her arms over her chest to nod her head.

Rhea looked at them. They all seemed very happy and determined to stop Those Who Slither in the Dark. They set off to see if they could find Those Who Slither in the Dark. Things took a very different turn for the worse. They were able to find a secret location for Those Who Slither in the Dark, but they fought back. A great fire broke out to cover the entire small country to consume everything and near other important cities in Faerghus. Christophe and Glenn chased after them, but the Witch and Thales easily killed the two of them! Catherine was heavily injured, and Shamir was unconscious. Rhea arrived to retrieve them and took them to safety. After she brought them back to the school, Jeralt and Sitri rushed to the scene to search for the Those Who Slither in the Dark.