Chapter One

"Emily, please be quiet, your sister is trying to sleep!" I audibly groan and return my trumpet to its case. My mother has never understood the importance of practicing.

My mother, Sarah Greene, now Sarah O'Conner since she remarried (for the fourth time) is a great mom...until you're alone with her. She's what I call "the friend favorite." All of my friends adore her, because they don't know what she's like when they're not around. "Your mom is so cool" is a phrase I hear daily. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, but she can get a little...out of control.

However, if you look at my mother right now, you would see a very loving and caring person. That's because she's with my half-sister, Olivia. My mom never mentioned wanting another kid, but once we hit the fourth marriage I guess she was ready because here's Livy, now almost 6, sleeping in her arms.

Yes, you heard me right, she's six, and still sleeping in my mom's arms. Every night she sleeps with my mom in her bed too. Spoiled doesn't even begin to describe it.

Since it didn't look like I'd be getting any practicing done anytime soon, I decided to take this time to give my mom a refresher on the information I'd already told her a million times today.

"So mom." I began, clearing my throat "you know there's my first sectional today at four, right? And then another one on Sunday, okay?"

She looked at me and sighed. "Yes, Emily, I understood the first three times you told me, we will leave here around four."

"No, it starts at four, we need to leave by at least three-twenty." I say matter-of-factly.

She scoffs at me, "Don't be ridiculous, you can be a little late!"

I put a hand on my hip. "No, I can't actually." My voice starts to rise "To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is unacceptable. If I'm late, I could be in big trouble. This is my first sectional!" I take a deep breath to calm myself before moving on. "Can we please leave by three-twenty?"

"Fine" she snaps at me "you are such a baby, can't even be a little late."

I ignore her and grab my music to head up to my room. My mom's form of bullying has always been verbal, so the "baby" comment didn't throw me off.

"It's three-o'clock now" I call over my shoulder.

Once inside my room, I take a second to calm down before I start getting ready. I pull my long brown hair up into a pony tail and reopen my case. My trumpet was laying there just how I left it ten minutes ago. I smiled at the thought of finally joining marching band. I was finally a freshman in high school. No more waiting, this was happening right now. I sat down on my bed and texted my best friend, Catherine.

Exited for today?I typed.

No I can't believe you made me do this! I can't even get my liar on!She answered right away.

It's a lyre.I corrected.

Whatever xD I hate this.

Don't worry, my mom got me the wrong one so now I won't even have one today. I hope I don't get yelled at! I replied.

Why are you always so worried about getting yelled at? Calm down, you just have to tell our section leaders what happened. By the way, I heard they're really cute! xD

I laugh at her excited-ness. Here's hoping! Lol I'll see you in a little bit, I have to go.

I don't wait for a reply as I throw my phone, grab my case, and skip back into the kitchen. No one could ruin this, not even my mother!

***

As we pull up to a huge house in the middle of nowhere, I start to get a little nervous. I spot Catherine already sitting on a picnic table next to Fern, another girl in our grade. I hug my mom and get out of the car.

"Hey Catie, how's it going?" I smile and sit down next to her.

"Do you see him?"

I follow her gaze to the head of the table and my mouth nearly drops open. He was about six feet tall and really skinny with dark hair and green eyes. My heart was beating out of my chest.

He cleared his throat and began addressing the ten or so people in the room. "Welcome to band. I am Jackson, one of your section leaders for this year. I-"

He was cut off by a car zooming down the driveway. Another tall, dark, and handsome guy approached the picnic table. "Kyle, you're late." Said Jackson "Introduce yourself."

Kyle shrugged, turned around and smiled at us. "I am Kyle, your other section leader, I hope we have a great year!" With that he smiled and sat down.

"Well I guess we know who we're going to like more." Catie whispers to me and I giggle.

"I would encourage you to not talk while I am." Jackson sneered with a fake smile at us.

"Eye eye captain!" Catie giggled and I couldn't help but join in with her.

"As I was saying," Jackson continues, ripping his gaze away from us. "We're going to learn some basics. Everyone line up."

"Well this will be fun." Catie muttered and I shushed her.

***

Two hours later I sat on my bed talking with Catie. "So yeah Kyle seems pretty cool" she said with excitement. "Mhm, yeah sure, totally. Look I have to go, I'll text you later." With that I hang up and continue composing a message.

Sorry for talking today, I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

Okay so I'm talking to Jackson. No big deal. I sat anxiously waiting for his reply.

After five minutes I decided to give up and go take a shower. When I entered my room with my towel on my head, I saw my phone lit up with a new message.

No problem, I was just messing around, haha.

Well that was confusing.

Okay, thanks... see you Sunday. I wrote with a confused look on my face.

I sat waiting for a reply that never came. Finally, I decided to put my phone away and try to get some sleep. Why did Jackson seem so mean in person, but so nice over the phone? One thing was for sure, I was going to figure this section leader out.