20. Memories

Dedicated to: Jhimli2301

"As vast as the sea,
Lusher and greener than leaves of a tree...
Heavier than a dark monsoon cloud,
Much dryer than a land hit by drought.
A sight the naked eye can see,
Much beyond the line of sight,
A thought can brighten up a day, can fill the dark with light.
The memories from the past are cherished and loved,
Yet some continue to haunt us throughout our lives...
The recollection of a moment, that makes us drown in nostalgia, urges us to laugh or cry,
A vivid image of the moment that continues to live with us long
After the sun has set and the moment has passed.
The distant image that our mind conjures to help us relive the past,
Outlives the monuments and stone carvings that time reduces to dust.

-Elegiac_Damsel

_____

4th August

Third person's point of view:

Every coin has two sides; distinctly opposite ones. Both contribute equally to the value of the coin. The two sides are destined to journey together, complementing one another, incomplete without each other. 

They are bound together, but they never meet. Two parallel and opposite sides never touch the same surface at a given time.

Memories; a word that can refer to all the great moments, the most beautiful ones that have graced our life and ironically, the same word that can also be used for all those moments that may have given us just pain and agony.

The good and bad memories constitute the coin called life.

It was just another monsoon morning and Anindita was at home. Her early morning flight to Istanbul via Dubai had been cancelled due to heavy showers. Her head was throbbing with pain due to deprived sleep. She was laying down on the bed, her fingers massaging her temples.

Her eyelids were shut close while her loose hair sprawled across the light blue linen of her bed. A few moments later, Anindita felt the mattress dip beside her and her mother's long, slender fingers with uneven, sharp nails running through her hair, massaging the scalp.

"You are again having a migraine, Ani?" Apurba asked her daughter, her voice laced with concern

Anindita nodded slightly, her scrunched up features straightening and relaxing in response to Apurba's gentle, soothing action.

"Do you want me to oil your hair for you? It will give you some relief sweetheart and your hair is in pathetic condition anyways. And is that a grey hair?" Apurba asked away, her voice sounding bewildered and astounded as she held up a strand of silvery white hair from Anindita's mass of jet black tresses

Anindita smiled up, her eyes opening to meet her mother's, "Your daughter is ageing too, Ma. She isn't growing any younger with the years."

Her eyes were sparkling with the same kiddish glint that Apurba had been used to seeing in her daughter. 

She had always been a dynamic kid with never exhausting energy. Apurba found herself reminiscing the moments when she would run behind Anindita with a comb in hand, struggling to comb her hair, threatening her daughter that she would lose all of it if she didn't let her mother oil and comb it. Anindita's screams and tears would fill up the entire chawl whenever she would be dragged into the house, her hair flying everywhere.