6. Ugly

"Be comfortable in your own skin. The day you stop noticing physical flaws in your reflection, you conquer all forms of ugliness and recognize true beauty."

-Elegiac_Damsel

________

16th May

Anindita's p.o.v.:

Today's finally the day that I would be meeting Agamani for the first time. I was genuinely feeling nervous. 

Satyaki had texted me his address and I had told him I would be there by 5 p.m. after I finished my session at BKC. Since, it was a Saturday, the roads were fairly less crowded and I was able to drive my Honda City without any trouble. I reached Worli Sea Face at 4.45 and then resorted to help from GPS to reach Silverene Terrace, where they lived. 

The society was fairly big and posh too. The watchman asked me to wait at the gate while he called up someone at home on the intercom. I began feeling conscious when passer-bys and residents started staring at me. I felt out of place.

"Maybe this is a wrong decision. I shouldn't have been here. Why would the girl want to speak to me anyways?" I was scolding myself when the watchman told me I could proceed

I entered the elevator, gingerly and pressed the button for the 3rd floor. Satyaki was waiting for me with the door to his house open. Greeting him with a small smile, I followed him inside. His mother was also there; an elderly woman with grey hair, slightly slouched back and a soft face. She looked to be around 70. I smiled at her and then bent down to touch her feet. 

"Hello Anindita. He told me about you. Dugga is inside her room. Don't you worry, she is a very sweet girl." she told me reassuringly after blessing me

"Who is Dugga?" I asked a bit confused

...

I discovered that Dugga is Agamani's nickname. (Dugga- a more affectionate way of calling Goddess Durga in Bengali)

Satyaki knocked on the door and a soft voice said 'Come in' in reply. I waited outside the room having last minute doubts.

"Someone wants to meet you, sweetheart. Will you please let her come in and meet you?" I heard him ask his daughter affectionately. She must have agreed because Satyaki opened the door slightly and motioned for me to come in. 

I walked in to discover a beautiful room. The bed was in a corner and the walls had vibrant images, drawings and even framed photographs. There was a study table in another corner and a book case stood right next to it. The closet was against the right next to the window overlooking the sea. I felt myself smiling when I saw the girl sitting on the floor and coloring something with utmost concentration, her back facing me. 

"Dugga, look up and greet her at least." Satyaki coaxed his daughter. She nodded and closed her coloring book and kept her pastels inside the box carefully before turning towards me. 

Her eyes widened when she saw me and I did not even get the chance to interpret her expression or even say hello when she shrieked out aloud, "Papa! Help!" I saw her cowering while hugging Satyaki, in fear. Almost like Rhitam had barely two weeks ago. 

I managed to gulp down the lump in my throat when she sobbed out to her father, "She's the bad, ugly witch Papa. She kidnaps children and eats them. Save me Papa. I don't want to go away from you. I will be a good girl."

Satyaki looked genuinely embarrassed and he opened his mouth to apologize, "I... don't know what... to say... Anindita. I am..." I held up my hand to stop him. It was either now or never.