9. Friends?

"True friendship is the purest form of love; the love which will look for something beyond materialistic wealth and looks. True friendship means finding solace in togetherness, even in poverty."

-Elegiac_Damsel

_______

30th May

Third person's p.o.v.:

Agamani did not bother to answer Anindita. She fixed her gaze on the ground and began spooning mouthfuls of the cooked pasta into her mouth, at an incredible pace. Anindita sighed and caught hold of the girl's arms and spoke to her gently, "Don't eat in such a haste! Chew properly. You might choke on your food, baby."

The innocent soul looked up feeling the affection in the woman's voice. She had secrets that had been concealed from everyone around. She had her father who loved her unto infinity and she had an indulging grandmother, but she missed a mother who would correct her at such moments. She allowed Anindita to wipe the sauce that she had on her lips and chin even as she felt disturbed at her question.

"Auntie, did you have friends in school?" she asked in a small voice

Unsure, Anindita replied in the affirmative. There had been awkward moments in her life and several occasions during which she had been rendered lonely, but she did have classmates who could be called 'friends'. She waited for the girl to continue speaking but she did not.

Satyaki entered the kitchen then, only to inform his daughter, "Dugga, I need to go to the hospital once. Please go to sleep on time. We'll play together tomorrow." He kissed his daughter on the forehead and waved at her. Anindita nodded in acknowledgement when Satyaki waved her a goodbye too.

Agamani chose to go to her room after keeping the empty bowl in the kitchen sink, "I want to draw something. Bye Auntie." The door to her room slammed shut even before Anindita could ask her anything or protest. She felt certain that the little girl had purposely chosen to ignore her question. She took her handbag from the kitchen island and walked into the living room. Satyaki's mother was reading something. Anindita was about to go and tell her that she was leaving when she chose to speak, "My child, I know you come here to meet my granddaughter, but can you spare me some time too? I feel lonely sometimes."

Anindita smiled and took a seat next to her on the sofa, in reply to her plea.

"Tell me something about your family, child." the elderly woman asked her while wiping her spectacles

Anindita spoke briefly of her parents, her older brother, sister in-law, nephews and cousin sister. She told her how Aparajita's parents had passed away years ago and that the two cousins grew up together. She chose to keep details about her equation with Anurag to herself. The older woman relaxed in Anindita's company and spoke of her granddaughter with utmost fondness. Anindita discovered what the girl's favorite dishes were and also that she loved listening to music like her father. She felt herself warming up to the older woman who in many ways represented her own mother.

At 8, she decided to leave as she had to return home. She had to buy her father's medicines and check the weekly report his physiotherapist left for her on Saturdays. She bid farewell to Satyaki's mother and drove back home. While purchasing her father's medicines at the local pharmacy, she decided to buy some sedatives and analgesics as she had a feeling she would be needing them.

...

2nd June

Anindita was scheduled to fly out of the country the next day. She wouldn't be home till the 7th which meant she would have to skip meeting Agamani. Deciding to meet her after her training session at B.K.C., Anindita typed a message to Satyaki asking him if it would be fine for her to meet his daughter sometime in the evening. Receiving an approval, Anindita waited till 5 p.m. for the session to conclude.