PROLOGUE

August 12, 2012

"... I opened my eyes with a smile that got wiped off immediately as my roommate, Nakshatra pounced on me screaming 'Happy Birthday' in my ear. I pushed her off me as a reflex and soon she was on the floor glaring at me
I sat up in bed, grinning sheepishly.

"Thank you and sorry," I replied

I stood up only to discover five more people in the room.
"Good lord! I have asked you guys before to NOT enter the room while I am sleeping. Talk about breaching a poor girl's privacy!" I shrieked while covering myself hastily with the towel which had been kept on the chair.

Three boys and two more girls stood there fully dressed and freshened up while I was standing with my knotted hair, half-asleep eyes, unwashed face and mouth in my nightclothes.

"Happy Birthday Anindita!" they chorused together

I smiled tightly while glaring at them simultaneously. The boys got my hint and moved out wordlessly. 

"I am going to freshen up and till then, please do not let those boys inside the room. After that, you can give me my surprise." I tell the girls, winking

"How do you know we have a surprise awaiting you?"

"Intuition darling!" I muttered while closing the door to the restroom...

I felt someone tying something dark around my eyes.

"So how much ransom are you going to demand?" I asked playfully

"We are very good kidnappers, Anindita. We are not going to charge any ransom, instead, you might actually receive a gift for being kidnapped."

Once Aditi had tied the blindfold securely, I felt them slipping something over my head.

"Not laboratory glasses now!" I whined

"We are not taking chances. Last time you could practically see everything. And don't worry madame, we will be tying another blindfold after this."

"I will not cheat this time."

"No chances are going to be taken. Sorry!"

I smiled as one of the crazy girls tied another cloth over the laboratory glasses.

Once they were convinced about my inability to see after all their efforts, Vidushi took my hand to help me walk.
...

I could make out that she was leading me towards Powai lake, most probably to our hangout place; the local tea stall.

"After all this, only a cup of tea or coffee for me?" I asked her pretending to be hurt

She chose to not reply and I followed her blindly

"Kabir, Anindita is here! Yug, Will! Get that here ASAP!" Nakshatra yelled

"Wait here Anindita. I'll take off the blindfold once I help them with the stuff."

Nodding in reply, I stood there wordlessly. A small smile was static on my face as I heard approaching footsteps. I was definitely excited to see the surprise that the idiots had planned for me, a childlike enthusiasm radiating off myself.

One moment I was waiting in anticipation and the very next moment something splashed on my face.
Oblivious to all other external stimuli, I stood rooted to my spot, too numb to react.

A resounding crash of shattering glass brought me out of my reverie as I let out a bloodcurdling scream in agony.

"Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!"

My face was on fire. I felt the uncontrollable urge to press my palms to my face but someone had restrained my hands.

"Anindita don't! Your hands would burn." I heard Kabir speak urgently in my ear, his grip on my arms tightening

Shrieks from Vidushi, Nakshatra, Aditi and Yug followed next as I sank to the ground on my knees. I felt tears pool at the corners of my eyes, wetting the blindfold. Kabir's grip on my hands refrained me from touching my face, but I simply had to seek some temporary refuge from the flames that had seemingly engulfed my face.

I pressed my face to the ground, almost rubbing it against the hard concrete.
Kabir tried his level best to restrain me as did Nakshatra who tried to pull me up. I let out another scream as pain clouded my senses.

My vision started blurring and all sounds of murmurs and footsteps started fading away. 

Right before everything around me went black, I heard a voice say faintly yet distinctly, "Keep your feet on the ground next time instead of soaring the skies. Happy Birthday Anindita."
...

To be continued...