3. Equations and Relations

DEDICATED TO:  My brother, Rhitam

"Mathematics has linear equations and equivalence relations, but life is all about solving the differential equations and  making do with undefined relations."

-Elegiac_Damsel

______

4th May

Anindita's p.o.v.:

After all  the immigration procedures were over, I got into the company sponsored car that was waiting to take me to Hotel Four Points in New York city. I have to stay for 3 days before flying back on the 7th.  Even though I have enough time to meet Dada anytime in the next 3 days, it is better to go and meet him today as it is a Sunday. Gitanjali Boudi(sister in-law) and Dada would both be at home. 

Right after I kept my luggage and changed after checking in, I grabbed a sandwich from the hotel cafe and left for the railway station. The train from New York to Massachusetts left at 16.00 hours EST and reached Boston at 20:00 hours. 

I had messaged Dada earlier to inform him about me visiting him. This was perhaps the first communication that I had had with him in over a year. 

I hailed a cab from the station and it took me half an hour to reach his place.

Walking up to the front porch, I rang the doorbell with a shaky hand. 

It was opened by my sister in-law.

I managed to greet her with a smile and she ushered me in. Dada was in the living room with the boys; Aryaman,7 and Rhitam, 5. They were playing some video game together, understanding which is way beyond my league. 

"Dada." I called out to him softly

He stood up immediately while the boys looked up and the younger one immediately went and hid behind his father. 

I genuinely felt hurt at his reaction but chose to remain quiet. My own nephew cowers away from me in fear! I tried smiling at the older boy but something choked me. I wasn't meeting him for the first time but he was just two when I met him last. His brother had just been born then. 

"Hi. I am Aryaman and you are?" I was asked by the little guy who spoke with a heavy American accent

Before I could reply, the younger one said, "Big brother, she is the bad, ugly witch from the story Mom narrated us yesterday. She told us that the witch would come to punish you if you did mischief. You stole chocolate from the fridge right?"

The child had obviously no clue what he was saying but his words stung me. I looked at Dada who was still standing silently. As if on cue, he corrected his son,

"She is not a witch, Rhitam! She is your aunt and my sister." 

"Hi. I am Anindita." I introduced myself to them

Aryaman nodded and held out his hand for me to shake.

His action made me smile. At least he didn't think of me as a witch! Rhitam peeked out from his father's side and asked me hesitantly to confirm, "Dad's sister means my aunt?"

I nodded at him earnestly. No matter how my equation with Dada is; the two boys though out of sight from me, Ma and Baba have never really been out of mind or heart. 

Dada stepped forward this time, picking up Rhitam in his arms. 

"How have you been?" 

"I have been fine. Ma wanted me to come here to deliver these to you." I told him opening my handbag to take out the gifts Ma had given me