Shadows and Genies: 1

"Hi, I am Ramses. Your wish is my command." He spoke with no enthusiasm, his eyes didn't shift, it was as if his focus was perpetually locked in an alternate dimension that blocked her from his vision.

But he could see her, of course, he didn't look through her in a disrespectful kind of way, he looked at her in an indifferent kinda way, with no motive behind his lazy gazing.

She was surprised that when her brother dusted off the lamp a Genie emerged from it, but why was he so indifferent?

Did he not think she was pretty?

She became accustomed to being adored and ogled, they would compliment her big brown eyes, her perfect cheekbones and beautiful dark skin, but the young man that emerged from the lamp looked almost annoyed at her presence.

"Hello? You gonna make a wish, princess?"

***************

Earlier that day, Laurie woke up hearing whispers like she often did while sleeping, bathing, eating or just simply walking from the couch to the kitchen.

She has always heard voices, but that didn't scare her like the shadows did.

The shadows were the ones talking of course, they were always trying to warn her about something, but their voices were barely above a whisper.

Something strange was happening all around her, on a daily basis she saw shadows moving around.

Sometimes they would run pass her in a hurry, sometimes in large chaotic groups they surrounded her, it truly terrified her.

Or it did when she was a child and not used to it.

Dear diary, they woke me up today, seven minutes earlier than last time. Tomorrow is the last day before school starts, I was kinda hoping they'd be gone by now.

They've been getting louder and it's getting harder to shut them out.

Laurie was in the living room writing in her diary when her mother came downstairs dressed in very business savvy, high fashion clothing, like she usually did when going to work, only it was Saturday, and she didn't work on Saturdays.

"Laurie, I'm going out. Your father is at the museum opening downtown, watch Jaden for me and look out for that delivery."

"Whoa, you're risking not being here when something is delivered? Is it cheap, lame or musty? Choose two." Laurie asked dramatically as she held up two fingers.

"It's actually a very expensive, very ancient artifact that I'm trusting you to secure. I have made the delivery company very aware of the artifact's importance." Her mom replied, she didn't even laugh at her clever joke.

"Where are you going? Jaden can go too."

"No he can't, I'm meeting a very important buyer. I'll be back in a second, your father is actually already wrapping up, so he'll be back before me. I love you sweetheart."

Her mom owned her own auction house, some things she sold through it others privately, the things she had delivered to the house were always top tier.

"I bet it's something made of gold." Laurie squealed.

"I'll tell if you open it." Her younger brother shouted.

"Not if I glue your mouth shut in your sleep, you little rat." She replied going back to her diary.

"Maybe I'll call the shadow people to get you." Jaden quipped then grabbed her diary and ran out of the living room.

When she was younger she would cry and go to her parents about the shadow people, she just wanted it to stop, but she ended up stopping when they didn't believe her, she pretended like it was no longer happening.