Chapter Twelve

^ A picture of Leonardo's wife.

Chapter Twelve: The Beginning

"I can't believe you're quitting!" Jessica says incredulously. I need to be completely dedicated to my plan to finally see justice unfold and frankly, this job won't help me stay on track.

I feel like two jobs might not be a good idea right now. As a college student, I can barley juggle around my schedule.

"Well.. I haven't turned in a notice yet.. I'm still considering my options here." I say tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, it really bothers me how that same strand keeps falling over my face. I know for a fact a big ole pimple will be there in the morning.

"Don't you like it here?" Jessica questions, giving her best puppy dog eyes.

"I do and I am going to miss you if I decide to quit, but I really need the money. This job is barley meeting my needs, income wise. The other job offers more and that's good because I kinda still owe money for the funeral. " I partially lie about the real reason I'm leaving the office.

The money would be a bonus in my plans because I really do need to pay up the money I owe for the funeral.

Jessica gives me a small, understanding smile.

"I'm really gonna miss you too dear." She says and I give her a quick hug before we settle down in our receptionist desks. The office is about four minutes away from opening.

~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Only a few more minutes until my shift is over and I head over to Slithering Industries.

I decided that right after work today I'd go apply for a job at his company, only with false information about me. I need to apply with a different last name and hope Leonardo won't recognize my name. I don't want him recognizing me even if he hasn't really seen me, but I'm sure Angie's told him our last name, maybe even my first name.

Luckily I know a guy who could forge any documents. I asked him to provide me with a fake degree in the field, a fake id, and even a fake birth certificate among other things I might need to apply with.. just to be safe. He's actually really good at his 'job', he's helped many people with bad records who were trying to change and get better job opportunities for themselves or family.

I drove my own car to work today, so getting to Slithering Industries will be simple, that is if my car doesn't decide to break down on me for the hundredth time.

I drive to where my gps takes me and only end up having to make two u-turns and no car problems. As I enter the parking lot of his company I feel myself tense involuntarily, not because I was nervous, but because I don't know if I would be able to contain myself from attacking my sister's killer right then and there if I were to see him.

After convincing myself not to sabotage myself and ruin my plans before they even start, I take a deep breath and march right in. The building looks huge on the outside, but is even bigger on the inside. It's filled with vivid decorations, yet still manages to look classy.

From the research I've done, I've found out that Slithering Industries is an international oil corporation that has been passed down only three generations, but has become a really wealthy company.

From what I remember, it's estimated to be worth $68 trillion dollars, making Leonardo, the sole owner of the company, one of the richest people alive so now I know how he would get away with the murder of my sister.
He can pay anyone and everyone to look the other way and let him slide.

It won't work for me, he needs to pay for everything he's done. Justice needs to be served.

I walk over to the receptionist, who tells me to head to the 6th floor to the CEOs office, Mrs. Jackman. I assume it's Leonardo's mother because he's wife has cancer and wouldn't be able to work, but when the elevator opens revealing her office, the woman who greets me seems to be way too young to be his mother.

"Hello. Stephanie Cruz I presume?" She asks with a smile. Stephanie? Oh, yeah that's the fake identity that Paco gave me.

"Yes." I confirm walking over to her desk to shake her hand firmly and she takes it.

"So my receptionist tells me you want to apply for a job here?" She looks over me after she concludes her sentence. "Yes, it's my first actual job in the field, but I'm completely qualified and I learn fast." I inform her and she thinks it through with narrowed eyes before speaking again.

"Take a seat." She says gesturing her seats. "I assume you have all your information with you." She says with a tone more serious than when I walked in. "Yes. Here's everything you may need to look over." I say handing my paperwork over. Shit. I should've looked over it in the car before actually handing it to her. Who knows what kinds of crazy things Paco might've added to my resume!

For all I know Paco might've lied so bad and said I was a professional skydiver and they're gonna test me by throwing me off the rooftop! Ok.. let's not overthink so much Sofia.

She looks over it, clearly impressed, and keeps some paperwork for herself then places it in a file.

"When can you start?" Mrs. Jackman questions and keeps her gaze on me.

Never should've doubted you Paco, I smile internally.

"Next week?" I state keeping my gaze locked on hers as well and after a couple of long seconds she responds.

"Perfect." She smiles and looks a lot less intimidating and I smile back. "Thank you for this opportunity." I smile and begin to grab the remaining paperwork she doesn't intend on keeping.

"Before you go, I'd like to invite you to this business party. It's this party my husband, Leonardo, and I make annually to meet our workers properly. You're basically already hired, so you should come." She says finishes with the details and at this I silently confirm that she's his wife. She doesn't look like she's dying, that lying bastard probably made everything up to make my sister believe whatever he wanted her to believe.

"Stephanie?" She asks, raising a brow. "Was that a yes or a no to the invitation?" She continues. It would be a good opportunity to make them believe they can trust me, so why not. "Wouldn't miss it for the world." I say before I give out my best, believable genuine smile. "Great." She laughs and I look over at her confused. How come she's an angel married to the devil himself?

"Oh sorry. I just thought it was funny how perfect your timing was. You came just in time for our work event." She explains and I smile back at her. "See you at the party Mrs. Blackman." I see before heading out. I let out a breathe I didn't even know I was holding in after softly closing the door behind me.

Tonight's work party might be a good opportunity for me to get to know the place better since the party will be here in the lobby.

I might not know how to read data charts and do analysis for the company, but there's nothing a little YouTube can't fix. I have to be prepared to do anything and that includes my job. I have a lot of studying ahead of me, but I didn't lie when I said I learn fast so it might be easier than I thought to take Leonardo Blackman down.

*Author's Note*
Thank you to everyone who made it this far. 💛 much love for you guys.
I hope you stick around for the action scenes. ;)