Chapter Four

*Author's note: Sorry for any typos. Once the book is completely published, I'll revise all the chapters. Thank you.*

Chapter Four: Bad News

Cassandra Reyes

"What's wrong mija? You seem tense. Do you need to get something off your chest?" My mom asked looking concerned. I've been at my parent's house for a couple of weeks and Sofia hasn't called yet. We normally talk everyday if we aren't together. I've texted and called to make sure everything is ok, but no answer.

"Yeah it's just.. I'm worried about Sofie and Bunny. Neither of them have called and this isn't like them. If Sofia doesn't call, Angie usually does." I said referring to Sofia and Angela, but it's probably all in my head.

"Maybe you should go back home to California. You've already been here for a while, you should see your friends. Thank you for coming to see your dad and me, he was so happy to see you." She said smiling. "Wow is this you're way of kicking me out mom?" I joked. "Maybe? I guess the world may never know." She shrugged. "Hey! You guys love me. You can't deny it!" I teased as she laughed.

"We do honey, but if you're worried about Sofia and Bunny I'll help you pack, come on. Tell them that I miss them when you get there dear and that they should come with you next time you visit." She said leading me to my old room. My mom loved them.

I remember the first time my mom met them during my sophomore year of college and Sofia's freshmen year of college last year when she came to visit. I'm a grade level higher than Sofie, but nevertheless she's mature. Probably more mature than me.

They all instantly hit it off and now, she even considers them her daughters and they consider her a mother, which was great for me because they were already my sisters by heart.

"Thanks mom. When is dad getting back? I want to tell him I'm leaving personally so I can say goodbye." I asked. "He should be here any minute. I'll go get you a ticket." I smiled. I wished we would've met Angie and Sofia sooner, so their past wouldn't have been so horrid. We would've given them so much love and support. We would've given them everything they needed. My families not as rich as most families, but we have enough money to have made their lives a lot better.

10 hours later

It's only 6 pm in the afternoon. It's not too late, I should go check up on them now. I've missed them and I'm sure they've been missed me. I shot Sofie a text to let her know I was coming and made made my way over there.

I knocked .. and knocked.. and knocked. Sofia's car is still here so I know they're home, so why aren't they answering the door? Before I let any paranoid thoughts fill my mind, I took out a spare key Sofia gave me and headed inside, closing the door behind me.

* * * * * *
Sofia

"Sofia? What are you doing in Angie's room?" A voice calls out, waking me up from my nap on the floor. Cassandra was standing in the doorway waiting for me to respond. "Huh?" I ask groggily as I slowly regain my senses. Wait.

"Cassie?" I'm so happy to see her. I ran up to her to embrace her in a hug and, without my intent, began to cry. "Girl, I know you haven't missed me that much!" She says laughing. She's always so cheerful.. like I used to be before.. the tragedy.

"But why haven't you answered any of my calls? You had me worried sick!" She asks pulling me away so she can have a better look at me. She was worried, you could see it in her eyes as she peered into mine. "And where's Angie? I brought gifts!" She squealed excitedly. I don't know how to tell her. I wish Angie was still here with us. "She's..gone." I tell her, tears falling down my face. "Uhm? It's ok I'll just leave her present here for when she comes back?" She said confused, pulling out the gift out of her bag and placing the small box on Angie's bedside table.

"No, Cassie. She's gone and she's never coming back. She- she." I hate this. Everything hurts. I don't know how to tell her that my little sister is dead and will never come back to us because Bunny was always like a second sister to Cassie. How is someone even supposed to give this type of news? "What do you mean Sofia?" She looked taken back by all of this.

"I mean she's dead and we'll never get to see her again! We'll never get to laugh with her again, talk to her, hug her.." A sob escapes my lips as I'm trying to hold in my tears. I didn't mean the news to come out like that, but my anger took over. "How? She- she can't be. I- How did this happen?" Tears were filling her eyes until a teardrop finally fell down from her eye to the floor. It was the first time in a long time I've seen her cry. Like me, she believed crying was a weakness and hated crying she and I preferred to punch something instead or go to the gym, to keep our minds occupied by other things, to escape reality.

"She was murdered." I cried. "I dropped her off at school and she never came back. I don't know what happened! I should've done something differently that day it's all my fault." I fell to my knees as I try to fill Cassie in.

She accompanied me on the floor and pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry I wasn't here and I'm sorry you had to go through this alone, but it's not your fault." was all she said before we stayed there for a while, crying, in the hug.

It felt like hours before she finally decided to speak. "Do you know who did it?" She asked.
"I don't know yet, but as soon as I figure it out they're going to pay." I said. My voice reflected all the hatred I felt towards that person.

"Sofia, you can't let this change you. If you let the hatred take over you you'll change and not for the better. I understand how you're feeling, but Angie's dead and as much as I hate to admit it, nothing's going to bring her back." My heart ached at the fact that I'll never get to see Angie or hold her one more time and tell her how much I love her.

"But why would they make her suffer? Why would someone just decide to end her life with a single bullet through the head? Why? What kind of person enjoys doing that to anyone? Let alone a defenseless 16 year old! I- I just don't understand.." I cried.

Cassie took in a deep breathe before she decided to talk, almost as if she was trying to calm herself down as well. I sensed the same anger I felt when I found out how she passed away.

"Ok. We need to let the police do their job and let them find out who did this to her. Sofia, you can't make them pay on your own terms. Angie wouldn't of wanted to see you in jail." Her voice soothed me and I took this time to clear my mind about my previous thoughts of making her killer suffer.

I guess there is no reason for me to risk going to jail along with her killer. Cassie's right. I should just try and calm down just for the time being while the police find my sister's killer and make them rot in jail, just like they deserve.

"You're right Cass. I'll just let the police do their job. Even though they rarely provide the justice they promise." I took a death breathe.

Cassie watched me with a satisfied smile and I began to think that maybe the police would do their job and bring Angie's killer to justice.

* * * * *

How's life going? :)