Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: Calvin

Sofia

"I'm just so happy!" Jessica gushed. Jessica and I decided to go to this small coffee shop today while we're on break. It's about 8 minutes away from the office in case we loose track of time and we run a little late.

"I haven't seen him for almost a year now! I just miss him so much. His plane landed yesterday, but I think he wants to surprise me today after work. I'm so excited!" She continued to talk about her grandson. He is the last of her family, from what she has told me. Jessica and her husband raised him after his parents passed away in some accident when he was only 9 years old.

And from what I remember he's a firefighter or something related to that. I can't really recall, but I'm really happy for Jessica. I haven't seen her this excited since she discovered Facebook.

"That's great, Jessie." I smile. "He lives in Oregon right? You should take him to tour Cali." I suggest, taking a sip of my coffee. "Sweetie, he was born and raised in California." She laughed,  "I also just get so tired walking around all day. I'm just hoping we go out for dinner at some restaurant. You should join us." She says leaning against the table,  putting her elbows on it as she cups her face with both of her hands.

"I really don't want to intrude, I mean, you're reuniting with your grandson it should be a special moment. I don't want to ruin it." I say trying to get out of it. It's not that I wouldn't like spending more time with her out of work hours, it's that it feels more of a grandmother and a grandson type of moment.

"Come on. I just want him to meet new people. I don't want him to be in the house bored all day." She whines, trying to convince me. "Aw, there's never a boring moment with you Jess." I wink playfully even though it is the truth. She's really funny and she always knows the best places to go to during our break.

She smiles and tucks in a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Was that a yes to the invitation?" She asks. Well.. it would be nice to go out and have a little fun now and then. "Sure. I'll come." I smile. "But let's get back to the office before we end up running late and they fire both our asses." I continue.

"Ok. Let's go." She says as she grabs her cardigan and her keys and we head back to the office with the coffee in our hands.

* * * * *

"Come on Sofie. You don't want to be late." Cassie says as she knocks on the bathroom door. I'm supposed to be meeting with Jessica and her grandson in about 26 minutes.

The restaurant is supposedly really classy so Cassie thought I should dress the part. Jessica called me earlier letting me know the address and name of the restaurant since she still hasn't really worked out how to text.

As for the dressing classy part.. I really own nothing more fancier than my work clothes, so Cassie let me borrow one of her dresses, which I'm currently trying on in the bathroom. It's a long, red dress that wraps around perfectly against my body, has an open back, and a slit that shows off one of my legs. It's actually really beautiful. I decided to curl my hair and leave it down for the occasion. I had to admit though, I kind of feel like one of those badass spies for tv.

"Come on! You're taking forever in there." She says knocking again. "Ok ok. I'm out. You can be so impatient sometimes. Tsk, tsk, tsk." I say shaking my head in disapproval as I walk out of the bathroom and stand before her. And to my surprise she doesn't even respond, she just stands there looking at me dumbfounded and takes a while to regain her self.

"Wow. I- you look beautiful." She says placing her hands over her heart and begins to fake cry. "They grow up so fast." She says as she wipes a invisible tear away.

"Come on its not that big of a deal." I laugh. Jessica said I had to dress formally for the dinner so I'm assuming she's all dressed up as well. I bet she looks beautiful in her dress as well. My biggest flex? All of my friends are beautiful. Ok, I only have two close friends, but they are beautiful.

Cassie had dozens of dresses that she planned to give to Angie, we were looking over them earlier. Now, they were beautiful.

"Stop being all humble child. You look amazing admit it." She winks and I laugh.

"Do you want me to drive you to the restaurant?" She asks. "Only if you want to." I smile, knowing damn well she's been dying to drive me to the restaurant. It's a new restaurant that opened up last month and supposedly has the best food in all of California, but people like to exaggerate. She's been wanting to go ever since she heard the rumors.

"Ha. Ha." She responds sarcastically. "Let's go." I say grabbing my handbag.

* * * * * *

"Nervous?" Cassie asks when I hold onto the car door handle for a little too long. "No.." I say stretching the word. "It's just.. I feel a little guilty. You've been wanting to come here for so long and now I'm here about to get out of this car to go to the restaurant.. without you." I say, a sad smile forming on my lips as I contemplate on not getting out of the car. "It's fine. We'll come back another day." She smiles. "Now go you don't want to be late." She says pushing me out of the car. "Ok ok I'm going." I laugh. "But no pushing." I say glaring back at her.

"Calvin?" She says confused looking behind me.

"Huh?" I question and then look behind me in the direction her head is turned to. It's Calvin, the guy who we met back in the ice cream shop that day, walking into the same restaurant I'm about to go into.

"Hey, if you run into him inside, let him know I said Hello." She tells me, titling her head out to get a better look at me from the passenger seat's window since I'm already out of her car. "What if he's on a date? How would you feel if you were on a date and some girl walked up to him to let him know that her friend says hey." I respond. The poor girl would probably think that he's just sleeping around. I don't want to ruin his date.

"Yeah, ok. You're right." She agrees. "I'll call you after?" I ask since she was my ride here. "Sure. Have fun!" She says and I walk towards the doors.

It's kind of refreshing to forget all of my problems, for at least one night. Lord knows all I think about is Angie and how she should still be with us.

Just one night. One night of pretending to be ok, before I proceed with my plan to take Leonardo down to give Angie the justice she deserves. An eye for an eye I believe is the right phrase.

I can do this, right?

* * * * *
Thoughts?

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter.  :)