Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: The Funeral

Sofia

"Hey, are you okay?" Cassie asked as I got in her car. "Huh? Yeah I'm good." I don't know if I'm losing my mind or Officer Carrington and the man we just met back there were both working for Leonardo Jackman. If the cop who ran Angie's investigations is a dirty cop then that means that Angie's killer is still on the lose. And that the killer is Leonardo Jackman.

"At least we can finally be at peace knowing that that man is under police custody and is going to rot in jail for what he did to Ange." Cassie said before she squeezed my hand lightly in an attempt to comfort me and gave me a sincere smile. "And her case is finally closed after all these weeks of misery.." she continued when my face was certainly not showing "peace."

There was more to this story and I refuse to believe that this story is over until the person who murdered my little sister in cold blood is rotting in one of those cells.

I just don't know what to do.. I can't go to the cops because they're definitely working for the wrong people, or person.

"Are you sure you're ok because you seem like you're just lost in thought and I don't want you to fall into a depressed state that might be impossible for you to get out of?" She turned her body to face me. I think she's the only person I can trust right now.

"Can we talk at my house?" I asked. I just don't feel like this place is safe anymore. "Sure." She took a deep breath and smiles and then we headed back to my house.

* * * * *
I unlocked the door and lead her inside, but look around my front yard before I let myself in and locked the door. "So.. are you going to tell me what's going on or are you gonna act paranoid the whole time?" She chuckles.

"I-" how do I tell her? "You what?" She laughed looking amused about the whole situation. She looks better than she did a couple of weeks ago when she found out about Angie I don't want to ruin it. I don't feel like it's right to just keep dumping all my problems on her. "I.. I can't decide on whether I should get red roses or white roses for Angie." I said trying not play it off.

"Definitely white. She'd love those." I think she bought it? "Are you done arranging everything for her funeral?" Cassie continued as she walked off into the kitchen. "Yeah." I smile, trying to make her believe nothing's wrong. "I think everything's good for tomorrow." I continue, even though I'm in even more debt that I already was with the funeral, but as long as Cassie receives a proper goodbye I'm content.

And as for what I overheard at the police station, I think I should deal with that myself I don't want to keep dragging Cass into my messed up life. Angie will be avenged and I promise that Leonardo will be imprisoned.

"Did you invite your dad?" She asks nonchalantly walking out of the kitchen with a whole lot of snacks. My dad isn't a hard subject to talk about anymore I grew to accept who he was: a narcissistic, alcoholic asshole, but he is my father so I still have love for him and I wish him the best.

"Of course. Angie's his daughter, but to be honest I don't think it will be a good idea if he comes. You know how he gets." I said referring to all those times Cass has seen him drunk. And when he's drunk he gets abusive and angry and paranoid.

"I know, but let's just give him the benefit of the doubt. Surely he won't cause a scene in his own daughter's funeral." She gave me a half smile. "But here help me with the snacks we're gonna watch that movie you've been wanting to watch."

And for the rest of the day, we did watch the movie and eat some snacks.. well Cass ate the snacks. I just watched her swallow everything whole. I guess she was hungry, but who can blame her? Neither of us have eaten much after the loss of Ange. Nothing will ever be the same without her.