Bastian: CH17: Celebration Part 2

"If I'm such a bad guy then why did you knock on my door last night?" I ask.

"I wish I knew," Kal shrugs.

"You realise we've had this exact conversation before and probably will again in the future."

"Not if I decide to work on my own, or join another team."

"You wouldn't. Come on Kal. You're the one that preaches about how we're family. You were just talking me into staying. What's going on with you?"

"Well, I didn't think you'd go off and screw another girl hours after fucking me. Just forget it. This entire conversation, please. It never happened, okay? It's just the alcohol talking."

All I can do is nod.

"Okay but just so you know. I'm not the one against this, against us. You know that."

"And you know I don't share," Kal's hands fall from around the back of my neck before she disappears in the sea of moving bodies.

Why are women so confusing? It blows my mind. Fuck it. Fuck this bullshit. I'm sure Kal is going to return to Everly. I need a minute away from the crazy.

Walking around the crowd to the temporary bar I grab a mug of lager and head away from the people towards the empty streets. At first I'm sure my eyes are playing tricks on me, or my drink is spiked. Polly and Wesley are talking in hushed whispers near the water fountain. Wesley is still rubbing his wounds even though he is fully healed by now. Why the heck would she be talking to him? Especially after what he did to Everly.

The dickhead spots me first and glares but knows better than to approach. Polly however rushes towards me with hands clenched into fists against her sides. I wonder what's up her ass.

"What's your problem?" I ask before Polly has the chance to speak. Wesley is the one she should be angry at, not me.

Polly scoffs and crosses her arms over her chest. So much for escaping the crazy. I guess I'm a magnet for it. This should be good. I wonder what I've done wrong now. Nothing that I can think of.

"You can't just take her away from me."

Ah, I should've known. Why didn't I think about that?

"You-" I start.

"Who do you think you are? Do you think you can trick her with your soul connection crap? Why don't you just admit you're after something and have been invading her dreams and manipulating her. Everything was great before you showed up and ruined it. Everly is mine. She is not yours. We're soul-mates, me and her. Always have been and always will be."

"I don't write the laws or get to decide where Everly is sent for work experience-"

If you are a legacy you are sent on work experience and judged after graduating from school. It's decided where you belong and what you're capable of.

"She already did that."

"Like I said I don't make the decisions and it's been six years since she last used a small part of her magic. A legacy with her power isn't going to have the choice to be a carer or return here and guard the wall let alone work behind a desk. That's not my doing. It's just the way it is."

Even back then Everly was holding herself back. Somehow stopping the power from fully manifesting. It's amazing especially considering she was able to hide her true potential from others.

Slap!

Polly's hand connects with my face. The sound echoing in my ears.