Bastian:CH8: Denial Part 1

Leaning against the glass desk, I'm on stand-by watching Dr. Sahari probe Everly's mind, tossing the capped, and loaded syringe between my hand. Yesterday I wasn't able to calm Evelyn's frantic nerves using my magic, just as Sahari couldn't read Evelyn's mind. Today will be different, it has to be.

Fuck. I just jinxed myself.

Evelyn's dread spikes and begins pulsating in the air surrounding me, trying its best to cripple me. Dr. Sahari grimaces, her concentration deepening, fighting against the resistance but it won't be enough, I feel its strength as the energy sparks and roars to life inside Evelyn.

Encasing Eve's body starting at the feet, I watch a gold glow break through her skin, following it until it reaches Evelyn's head, and like in the dream I can see every exposed vein, dark enough to stand out against the light. Sahari jerks her hands away as if having been shocked by the direct contact.

"Fascinating," Sahari murmurs.

We have very different definitions when it comes to fascinating. Sahari's curiosity is going to be her undoing.

"You're enjoying this too much," I clutch the sedative tightly. It was necessary yesterday because of Evelyn putting on an impromptu fireworks show. I'd barely gotten my barrier up in time before serious damage was caused. Sahari could've been killed. Time will tell whether or not this is better.

"Don't sedate her yet."

Ignoring Sahari, I approach Everly's side.

"Brandt, I said not yet. Stop! Her magic might burn out, or-"

Like arm wrestling, the struggle shifts between Everly and me, Sahari barking out orders until I'm finally able to break through and penetrate the barrier. It takes all my strength and most of my magic. The needle is just about to prick Everly's skin when I hear her, begging for someone or something to stop. Another voice is screaming at me to get out. With both voices echoing in my ears, I feel as if my spirit is being pulled out of my body.

I have no fucking idea what is happening right now.

I hate it. What the fuck?!

"Hello?" I shout. I'm standing in a seemingly endless hallway. Flickering lights illuminating the rotting and breathing wood walls that creak with each small movement. Through the cracks it looks like flesh, muscle to be precise, blood dripping from the wounds onto the floor. Words are carved into the wood repeated in different fonts and sizes: stupid, pathetic, weak, ugly, disgusting and freak. The saying goes: you're your worst critic. I live it daily, but this is, it's depressing as fuck.

There must be at least twenty doors. Which one do I choose? Each one is completely plain with identical brass doorknobs, no numbers or labels, no hint to what's waiting behind each one. Considering how horrific the hallway looks, I don't want to know what's behind these doors. Too bad, I don't have a choice.

"You shouldn't be in here," the little girl is standing five doors down. Long dark brown hair reaches past her tiny childish hips, big green eyes unblinking at the sight of me. Her blue dress matches that of her teddy bear, its furry feet dragging along the bloody ground, now stained along with the child's sandals. Something about the girl is familiar.

"Where is here?" I question. I'm assuming this is meant to be Evelyn's mind, but it could also be a trick, a trap. Her defense system reacting instinctively.

"You have to go, she doesn't want you here," the girl opens the door next to her and rushes inside.

Just so you know, I don't usually chase after children, but she might be able to help me get out of here, to find Everly. If things change and the projectiles start firing, I have to be out there, and not stuck in here.