Everly:CH13: Fiendly Occurrence Part 1

Warning bells are ringing in town, panicked screams nearly as loud. Thick smoke is clouding my vision, houses burning all around me, bright flames glowing through the haze. I don't know where I am exactly. Disoriented and trying to ignore the burning sensation in my lungs I manage to read the address on the closest mailbox.

"Polly!" I scream in between coughing, trying to keep to the path in case there's any heavy traffic. It's like taking two steps forward and one step back, the number of townspeople I keep running into. I'm covered in ash, and feel bruised from how many times I've fallen.

Fuck. This can't be happening.

Finally arriving at home our house seems empty.

"POLLY?"

The smoke is too much, I can't breathe. Growing weak, vision blurring I fall to the ground silently praying for death before the flames reach me. Burning to death must be a horrible way to die. Small burns are painful enough. Hopefully, Polly is fine and got out of town just in time. Best case scenario there are a few pyromaniacs intent on burning down the village, worst case- we're under attack by monsters. There are other possibilities too, like bandits although it's highly unlikely especially considering how close we are to Eden Meadows.

What a great last thought to have.

Giving in, closing my eyes, darkness descends, and my last breath is about to be drawn before the smoke suddenly begins to clear. Instinctively, my lungs inhale the clean air, pushing through the pain with each deep breath. Burnt, and severely dry my throat hurts more than I thought possible, the searing pain reaching all the way down my chest.

Heavy footsteps sound, stopping once they reach me. Blurry vision makes it impossible to identify whatever is standing over me, but from what I can see, from height and mass, it's most likely a revenant. I suppose it could also be a very tall and bulky demi. The tallest man in the world has a record of nearly eleven feet tall.

Please be the latter.

Grabbing my wrists, it picks me up off the ground, hauling me over its shoulder. The fear radiating inside is telling my instincts to get the fuck away, to run for my life and my gut agrees. However, I may as well be in the middle of nowhere under the black of night for all that I can see.

"Who are you?" I demand hoarsely as he exits the house. The healing has begun, but it still hurts like heck.

Not even a grunt, whatever has me is mute or ignoring me. My attempts at kicking and punching are appalling. I've got no fight left in me. My magic is solely focused on fixing any internal damage.

Oh, my gods.

Finding a small amount of strength I'm able to slightly lift my head. I regret it immediately. Bloody, hacked and beaten dead bodies, men, women and children, they're everywhere. Houses are burnt to the ground. Every living plant shriveled and brown, and all lifeless looking trees have been decorated with more torn apart bodies and organs skewered on bare branches, dripping blood onto the ground.

Calling out for Polly along the way I'm not sure how much time passes when I'm finally dropped onto a hard cold floor. The room is darkly lit. My internal burns haven't finished healing yet, but it's switching its focus, mending my eyes. Whatever brought me here, leaves the room, his footsteps echoing until a door creaks open and shut.

After focus returns, I quickly realise where I am. The abandoned mortuary. Hundreds of bodies used to be buried here, their names still etched into the marble that surrounds me, so many names. Fighters, soldiers in the first world war- post Deities ruling. It wasn't until monsters began desecrating graves that funeral pyres became essential.