Bastian:CH 14: My Favourite Perfume Part 2

"That was great Eve, it's all about anticipating your opponent's moves," Kal high fives Everly.

Since when did Kal start calling her Eve?

"My turn," I walk over to Everly, grabbing the dull dagger from Kal as we cross paths before wrapping my arm around Eve's shoulders. I can still smell Kal all over her. I shouldn't be feeling this way, envious and jealous.

A sudden current runs through me from head to toe, every limb rigid and unmovable. Before I can question it, images flash before my eyes until like a movie I watch the scenes playing out one by one.

The first is of Everly lying in a hospital bed being torn open from the inside out, there's so much blood, I can smell it, taste it. The second is of a little girl getting her throat slit by Everly, or rather who I'm assuming is Mara. The third has me stabbing Everly in the gut, twisting the knife for maximum damage. Lastly, I see Mara slaughtering Kal, Polly and I, Everly watching helplessly. It's so vivid.

Stumbling, I barely right myself before falling. Everly and Kal are looking at me with raised brows. What the fuck was that about? I killed her. Why did I kill her? The connection shouldn't be this strong. Did I just see her fears? Does she really think I would kill her to break the connection between us? Sure I've been a heartless bastard at times, not my proudest moments but murder, no and not like that.

For the rest of the training session, I let Kal continue to take charge. Blaming my bizarre behaviour on lack of sleep. Thankfully neither question my lame excuse although it's not entirely a lie. Drawing Everly into the dream space, spending hours there, it feels as if I did get very little sleep in the end. It used up so much energy and power. I tried to leave, to stop myself but I couldn't.

**********

Rapping knuckles demand my attention, snapping me out of my consuming thoughts. I've reread the same page at least ten times, having retired to my room after dinner. I had been looking forward to the butterscotch pudding for dessert, but that was substituted for grape jelly after the hens' decided to go on strike, apparently, the grubs aren't fat enough.

Just my luck.

Closing the book I place it on the bedside table beside the lamp before standing to my feet. I'm staying in one of the guest rooms which looks like any other, redwood furniture including a bed, bedside table, desk and chair, and a large closet. Only those with semi-permanent or permanent residency bother personalising their room. I haven't even unpacked my bag, it's sitting at the bottom of the closet.

"I hope it's Eve," Axel says feeling giddy with excitement causing me to roll my eyes.

"Really? Now you're calling her Eve too?"

"Open the fucking door already!" he demands.

Fine, geez!

Kal is standing before me, a small bottle of honey rum in hand and two glasses in the other, knowing I won't let her in otherwise. I've got a feeling I'm about to get a lecture. At least Axel isn't too disappointed, he can get really annoying when sulking, Kal is still one of his favourite humans.

What did I do wrong now? I wonder.

Kal takes a seat on the bed placing the alcohol and glasses on the small table, filling both cups halfway while I sit next to her. It's been too long since we've talked properly, or even at all lately. It feels unnatural.

It's strange.

"Things have been weird between us lately. I don't like it," Kal speaks first, handing me a drink and I don't hesitate before taking a sip, savoring the sweetness and how smooth it feels over my tongue, sliding down my throat.