chapter 29 : circles of confusion

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

I turn the knob of the door to the literature clubroom as I say, "Me and Dawn's, to be specific."

Since Edgar revealed such an important part of himself to me last night, I decided that the least I can do is show him the only spot in this school holding a special place in my heart. Tomorrow is Literature, which is a subject I am greatly confident about, so I won't need to study much. It's fine if I go home a little late. Even Mom trusts me on that.

Edgar looks around the rather empty room with his hands on his waist. Then he turns to me and says, "This is every introvert's haven."

"Guess so."

"The cafeteria is better."

"Disagree."

He walks over to the window, moves the ivory white curtains and looks out. "So no one else comes to this room? Like ever?"

"Well . . . actually, they used to. Some people used this room for sex."

"Really?!" He whirls around, a dubious look on his face.

I grin from a memory, still fresh in my mind from word to word. "Me and Dawn had the fortune of witnessing it once."

"No. Fucking. Way."

2017, Freshman Year

"This is a thousand times better than that chaotic cafeteria," Dawn said, taking a bite from his sandwich.

It was our second day having lunch in that room, and both of us agreed it would become the official "Cedar&Dawn Lunch Room", as Dawn liked to call it. Few people came to this deserted part of the building, anyway.

We were sitting across from each other in the space between the wall and a shelf, my back against the wall, his against the shelf. Someone standing on the door of the clubroom would not be able to see Dawn, but would be able to see a part of my body if they paid attention.

"I totally agree," I replied, turning the page of my Biology book. "Can you believe, students from four years, each year containing three departments, each department containing two classes, each class containing over forty students - all cramped in one place? It's a fish market. The school's feeding beggars."

Dawn laughed, his mouth full with sandwich. He gulped, licked his lips, and said, "I even saw a couple kissing there. Like, seriously? A crowded cafeteria is the last place on Earth I would kiss my future partner."

Dawn held out the remaining sandwich to me. He knew about my habit of skipping lunch to save money to buy books, so he would always share his food with me. I took the sandwich and said, "You'd even kiss your girlfriend in my house, in front of my Mom?"

Pouting, he corrected himself saying, "A crowded cafeteria is the second last place on Earth I would kiss my future girlfriend."

I laughed, and finished the sandwich in two bites. It wasn't tasty, and till today, it isn't.

"We just gotta hope no one else comes while we are here," I said.

"I'm sure no one wou-"

That was when the door swung open, making both of us jump. A sound of moan reached our ears. Dawn didn't understand at first, but I figured it out immediately.