32

"I hope you aren't angry with Eli," Alyssa said while she helped me tend Charlotte's garden that was to the side of the house, near the walkway to the backyard.

I raised my head from watering the radishes. "Why would I be angry?"

Alyssa shrugged. "He told that lady you had a husband. I was worried you'd be upset with him."

I smiled, feeling a sense of pride. Alyssa was my princess, and she knew it. She also knew how I felt about other people knowing about Adam and I, since I often found myself going to her to seek emotional support and advice.

"I would never be angry with him," I assured her. "He's only four; he doesn't know better. Besides, he seemed proud to have us as parents. How could I be angry?"

Alyssa grinned. "I was hoping you'd say that."

I finished watering the radishes and moved on to the spinach, watching as water soaked into the soil. Alyssa was watering the other half of the garden, where plants that preferred to be partially shaded were planted.

I was so lost in watching her work, I didn't hear the group of people approach, nor did I smell them until it was too late. A hand tapped my shoulder and I looked up, gazing into the eyes of Jack Roberts and his clique.

He grinned, hands resting on his hip as his girlfriend, Hannah Summers, blew a bubble with her pink bubble gum. Their friends, Trisha Bell and Cody Walters, stood to the side with smirks on their faces.

"Long time no see, Patterson," Jack said, sounding friendly despite the mischievous glint in his brown eyes. He then caught the gaze of Alyssa and his grin widened. "Who is this? Your cousin?"

"Go away, Jack." I turned my attention back to watering the plants, hoping that they would go away if I ignored them. When my parents were still around and took me to church, Jack did everything he could to torment me. It was no secret he despised me; Hannah, too. Cody and Trisha were just their friends, there to cheer them on every time they tried to "teach me a lesson". Apparently, Jack had something against scrawny guys who would rather stay home than attend service like a perfect angel. I, if you couldn't tell, was the scrawny guy.

"Sorry, Patterson, but I can't do that. You see, I heard a rumor that you're into certain...practices." Jack smirked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"And why is that your problem?" I challenged, growing wary as Alyssa watched. I didn't want her to get into trouble, and I especially didn't want her to be around Jack and his clique.

Laughter rang out from the group, Jack giving a snort. "Please, Patterson. Don't make me laugh. You know why it's my problem. You also know I hate faggots, so it surprises me that you have the nerve to remain living here, of all places."

"I don't want trouble, so leave," I snapped, rounding the garden to turn off the hose. Jack stood his ground, showing no signs of intimidation. Why would he be afraid of me, anyways? He had the body of a footballer and was taller than Adam, versus me who was scrawny and shorter than both of them.

"We aren't going to leave, fag! You either get your dick-loving ass out of town, or me and my group are going to bring you problems, you hear? Faggots aren't allowed."

Despite knowing how insignificant his words were, they still stung. Tears threatened release, and I fought down the weight that had formed in my throat. Alyssa stepped forward, brows tightened in an angry line as she glared.

"You shut your mouth, you asshole! That's my dad you're talking to!"

Jack scoffed, shaking his head in disbelief. "Damn. You're a mom, too? I bet you're the one who gets it in the ass."

I grabbed Alyssa's hand, pulling her away. "Let's go, princess."

"Yeah, follow your daddy, princess! I bet he has his husband to get to."

Jack's clique snickered and Alyssa spun around, fuming. "How dare you!" she growled. I noticed a flicker of yellow appear in her eyes, showing that she was close to turning.

"Ignore him, Alyssa. It's pointless."

"Yeah, Alyssa. Besides, your mommy has to go bend over for daddy, right? He must have his schedule full."

Alyssa lunged at him, a small form slamming into a big jock. She slammed a hit against his stomach, causing Jack to barrel over as his breath was knocked out. She then tried to hit a second time, but Cody was able to grab her arm and throw her off.

I watched in horror as she hit the side of the house, head hitting hard and a deafening crack could be heard. Bits of blood against the wood was visible, my vision turning red as something in me clicked and I lost all reasoning.

They hurt my pup!

It was like I had lost control, my body lunging at them faster than they could react. Within seconds, Cody's body was flung across the yard, landing with a hard thud. Hannah and Trisha screamed, eyes widened in horror when Jack had gotten up to defend his friend.

I took a punch at his ribs, the impact causing several loud cracks to be heard, his ribs obviously broken. Jack screamed, and I could see the girls running away out of the corner of my eye as I stared him down.

"I'm going to fucking kill you, faggot!" he seethed, cradling his chest. "Next, I'm going to go after your family!"

I grabbed his collar, pulling him up to slam a punch against his face. He fell back, face bruised, nose broken and bleeding, and lips busted. He was still breathing, though. Unfortunately.

I took several deep breaths, feeling my anger dwindle away as concern took its place. I ran to Alyssa, hearing her breaths coming out evenly. I searched her head for where it had hit against the house, using my fingers to push away the blood to see the severity of the damage.

My heart skipped when I saw the wound healing, closing up slowly but efficiently as if it was never there.

Alyssa stirred and I scooped her into my arms, heading for the house and not forgetting to lock the door when I had set her comfortably on the couch. Jack and the others could wait; Alyssa needed my attention.

I grabbed a washcloth and ran it under the kitchen faucet before I went back to the couch, kneeling beside it to clean the blood from her scalp and hair. Brown eyes opened and gazed back, a ghost of a smile making its way across her beautiful face.

My pup is okay.