25

Adam's POV

I knew Jamie was stressed. He raced about the house trying to clean as much as he could while Elijah was watching cartoons in the living room. I knew it was because of Elijah appearing out of the blue, sure that we were his new parents. I didn't blame him, but I also didn't want him to hate the kid. Elijah may have reshaped our lives in a split second, but it wasn't like he knew why it upset Jamie. He was too young; his instincts brought him to us because we were werewolves who were rogues, too. If we had been anyone else, he could have fallen into the hands of abusive rogues, given to a pack who would deal with a rogue child cruelly, or given to human foster parents who would one day discover what he was.

I wasn't going to let that happen.

Jamie had told Katy and Claire what was going on, and the two of them found Elijah to be too adorable to turn down. In a matter of moments, he had both of them wrapped around his tiny finger and they didn't know it.

I sat beside Elijah on the floor, watching Jamie flit about the house in a chaotic frenzy of cleaning and then more cleaning. He was a mess, and I was growing impatient to get to our scheduled time together. If only Charlotte could hurry up and get home...

"Adam, where's the broom?" he asked, poking his head around the corner.

"It's in the hallway closet," I answered, and Jamie disappeared just as fast as he had appeared. Elijah tore his attention away from the cartoon, watching Jamie run back to the kitchen.

"Daddy!" he shouted. He waited a moment and when Jamie didn't answer, he scrunched his nose in an attempt to make an angry face and tried again. "Daddy!"

Jamie appeared in the doorway, out of breath. "Yes, Elijah?"

Elijah's face softened and he grinned. "I wanna go run in the woods with dad and daddy," he said, standing to his feet eagerly. "I wanna see your wolf, daddy!"

Jamie's hectic composure calmed and he finally relaxed, giving a nod. "I've never tried turning before, so I suppose it's time I did," he said, holding his hand out for Elijah to take. "You coming, Adam?"

I grinned. "Of course!"

I followed them out of the house and we walked down the sidewalk towards the old playground. No one went there, which meant we had plenty of privacy to go in our wolf forms.

"I can't wait to see your wolf, daddy!" Elijah said, clapping his hands as we drew closer to the playground.

Jamie chuckled, ruffling his hair. "I look forward to seeing yours, too. What color are you?"

Elijah blushed, ducking his head. "You'll see."

We entered the threshold of the woods. I stayed beside Elijah, helping him over fallen trees as he led the way. He appeared to know the woods well, which meant he had come through here before.

I kept alert for any werewolves around, smelling the air for scents and paying close attention to the dirt for paw prints. If Eve ever came back, she would be sure to finish what she originally came here to do. She would kill us, especially if we had our guards down.

"We're here!" Elijah announced. "This is my favorite tree." He hugged the tree. It was cute, but also kinda weird.

"Alright, time to strip so we don't tear our clothes!" I said, and Elijah cheered and immediately did as told. Within seconds he was completely nude and Jamie was panicking, trying to cover him up.

Elijah giggled. "I don't need clothes, daddy," he laughed.

"But-"

"Watch me." Elijah stepped back, smiling big before his body shifted and a tiny pup took his place. His tongue lapped Jamie's shocked face, bringing him back to his senses.

"Oh god, he's so cute," Jamie gushed, petting Elijah's fur as the pup jumped playfully and tugged on his shirt, indicating that it was his turn.

Jamie frowned, standing up. "Okay, but don't look. Got it?"

Elijah yipped.

"You've got this, honey," I said, rubbing circles into his back to loosen his muscles. "Just imagine it in your head, and your body will follow suit."

"O-okay."

I stepped back, giving him space. Jamie closed his eyes and steadied his breathing, and as naturally as came sleeping, his body shifted and morphed into a wolf.

I couldn't stop myself from staring in awe. He was beautiful, fur as white as snow. It was a rare color amongst wolves, a color that showed how special he was.

Elijah jumped around, shaking his fur. It was gray with copper tints, a common color amongst our kind. His ears flipped back as he nipped at Jamie's ankles, instigating a playful fight between the two.

I sat down on a log and watched the two of them have their fun. Jamie's tongue rolled out and he panted heavily, tail batting the ground as Elijah ran circles around him.

It wasn't long until Jamie made his move, grabbing Elijah by his nape to hold him still so he could clean the dirt from his fur. He used his paws to imprison him while he locked a trail up his back, Elijah whining at the bath.

Is this what having a family felt like?

I grinned, Elijah noticing my stares. He let out a huff of annoyance and nodded his head to Jamie, expressing his wish for me to make him stop bath time. I stood up, kneeling beside them to run my fingers through Jamie's coat. He happily purred, Elijah's bath long forgotten.

The pup wiggled out from under Jamie's paws and scrambled away, tossing twigs into the air to try and catch them. He bounced around happily, full of energy and Jamie watched him with content.

"I love you," I said, leaning down to whisper into his ear. Jamie grinned, tongue darting out to lick my face before he rolled onto his back, tail wagging happily.

I chuckled, rubbing his belly while Jamie soaked up all the attention.