28

"No, stay still! Stop squirming! Alyssa, grab your brother for me!"

Alyssa giggled, shaking her head and running away before I could catch her. Elijah continued to resist the bath, fighting against my hold as I tried to scrub the mud from his fur. He just had to go out in the rain...

"Elijah, I'm gonna count to three and you're going to be a good boy or no steak for dinner, you hear? One... Two... Three!"

Elijah went still, tongue rolling out of his mouth as he acted like an innocent angel despite the mess he had just caused. Unbeknownst to Adam, his favorite was the Devil's spawn.

I sighed, resuming cleaning behind his ears. Bubbles were everywhere, and my clothes were soaked all the way through. Water laid in puddles on the tiled floor and the curtains had been pulled down, now lying in a heap on the toilet lid.

"You're in so much trouble," I chided, scrubbing hard at the muddy fur on his back. Elijah merely yipped, too happy for his own good. "Just you wait for your punishment, mister. Adam's not going to be happy when he comes home."

Elijah shifted, a smug smile on his face. "Dad's not gonna punish me," he said confidently. "I'm his favorite."

Alyssa appeared in the doorway, arms crossed as she glowered. "Nuh-uh! Dad loves me more! He says I'm his princess." She smirked, striking a sassy pose that had Elijah cringing in revulsion.

"He just says that to make you feel better," he snapped.

Alyssa gasped. "You take that back!"

Elijah snickered. "Nope."

"Daddy, Elijah's being mean!"

"Alyssa's being a drama queen!"

"Elijah, you take that back right now!"

"Never!"

Elijah jumped out of the tub, snatching the towel from the rail. With no shame in his nudity, he rolled the towel and snapped it towards her. The towel came close to striking her but Alyssa was fast to jump back and run down the hall, screaming her lungs out as Elijah chased her with his weapon.

I sighed, standing up to make my towards my bedroom. I could hear them arguing in the living room, Alyssa trying to convince Elijah as to why he shouldn't seek revenge, and Elijah taunting her with the towel.

I changed out of my clothes and put on new ones, a pastel pink t-shirt and skinny jeans. By the time I slipped on my house slippers, Elijah had sought his revenge and was now searching through his drawers for clothes.

"What are you up to?" I asked from the doorway. Elijah turned around, pulling on a shirt. He shrugged his shoulders, acting as if he hadn't just terrorized his sister.

"Nothing," he answered, trying to keep his balance as he pulled on socks. "Daddy?"

"Yes?"

"Why was dad being loud last night? Alyssa said you guys were cuddling, but I think she was lying."

Oh, god...

"Um..." I turned away, spotting Alyssa a few feet away sporting a smirk. "You, come here right now."

Alyssa groaned, entering the bedroom with me. I sat them both on the bed and knelt in front of them, wringing my hands nervously.

"You know me and Adam are mates, right?" I asked. They both nodded. "Well...sometimes mates need time to cuddle and be with each other, and sometimes your dad makes a lot of noise because he's happy. Do you understand?"