5

"I'd love to."

My mouth dropped open and I struggled to get the words out. He said...he...would love...to? What?!

I gasped, feeling my face go thermonuclear. Oh. My. God.

"R-r-really? D-did I just h-hear you c-correctly?" I asked, stuttering embarrassingly. Mr. Smith grinned, lowering his head as a blush creeped its way into his cheeks and ears.

Mr. Smith was blushing!

"Well, yeah..." Mr. Smith chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "I was kinda hoping you'd ask that. Oh, and please call me Adam. 'Mr. Smith' is a bit too formal."

Adam. Adam. Adam. Oh yeah, I liked that name.

I nodded, giving him an honest, genuine smile. "Okay. I'll call you that, Adam."

A shiver shook his body and he smiled up at me, his face growing completely flushed. Weird, I thought, but quickly shrugged it off and blamed it on the cold. Although, it really wasn't that cold.

We sat in an awkward silence, the two of us twiddling our thumbs as we thought of what to do. Eventually, I was done with the awkwardness and stood up.

"Well, I better get going. Claire, my friend over there, has a thing to get to..." That was a lie, but Mr. Smith-I mean, Adam, didn't know that.

Adam nodded, holding out his hand for a shake. "I'll look for that book you wanted, Mr. Patterson," he said, sounding a bit rehearsed. I arched my brow in question, feeling my stomach flutter as he gave me a wink. I shook his hand, feeling the tingles shoot up my arm before I quickly withdrew and turned to walk back to Claire.

She had already asked for boxes and was now finishing up packing my meal. When I came to a stop beside her, she looked up with an amused expression that told me she had watched our little exchange.

"Here you go," she said, handing me my box. "Let's hurry. That group is watching us."

I glanced towards the table and sure enough, they were watching us. I prayed they didn't see me and Adam. Claire stood and we hurried out of the cafe, Adam's gaze on my back.

~<<>>~

"She didn't!" Katy gasped, slapping her hand over her mouth.

"Yep. Apparently, she's not the girl my parents thought her to be." I tugged on a white t-shirt and caught the blue plaid button-up Katy threw my way. I pulled it on and left the front open, smiling in the mirror as I checked myself out for my date. If I could even call it that, that is.

"And your parents think you're going out with Claire?" she asked, crossing her arms and legs as she sat on my bed.

"Yep."

"What are you going to do when they expect you to marry her?"

I shrugged. "I haven't thought of that," I admitted.

"Well, you should."

I turned to face her, beaming. "How do I look?"

Katy's stern expression softened and she stood, breaking the distance and placing her hands on my shoulders. "You look wonderful, Jamie."

"I do, don't I?" I did a twirl, feeling like all this was a dream. A dream I refused to wake up from.

Katy chuckled, pushing me towards the door. "You better not make your Prince Charming wait any longer, Princess," she teased as we made our way down the stairs. My mother was in the middle of cooking pasta for dinner, my father nowhere in sight.

"Where's dad?" I asked as we entered the kitchen.

My mother turned, smiling briefly until her eyes landed on Katy. She frowned, turning to continue stirring the sauce.

"Something came up. Your father won't be home until after midnight," she answered.

"Again?"

My mother sighed. "He's busy, Jamie."

"I don't know, mom. He's been doing this a lot lately." I grabbed a glass and filled it with water, handing it to Katy so she wouldn't feel so awkward. My mother made her nervous, which was something I understood. Katy knew my parents didn't approve of her, which was why she didn't really have a problem with them thinking Claire and I were together. As long as they thought I was straight, there wasn't a reason to do anything about it.

"His boss called and said she needed him to finish things up. They've been quite busy."

"Mom-"

"No more, Jamie! We will not discuss this with a guest in the house."

I sighed. "Okay."

"Good. Now hurry along. You don't want to keep your date waiting, do you?" she asked, keeping her back turned. I could see the tension in her shoulders. She worried, but never once took her concerns into consideration. It was one of her greatest weaknesses, and now it was eating her up as my father spent most of his nights in the office.

I stayed silent and left, Katy following behind me. It wasn't an option to try and be reasonable. I had tried many times before to get my mother to open up, but never once did she want to talk about it or admit what was going on with her husband. It was as if she didn't want to know, that she thought the truth would do nothing but harm.

I sighed.

Maybe that's true.

~<<>>~

I took a seat on one of the red cushioned chairs, feeling a bit claustrophobic with how many people filled the rows. Adam was running a little late. He said he had something to finish at work, and that he would be here before the movie started.

I placed my drink in the cup holder, resting the large box of popcorn in my lap. The scent of buttery popcorn filled the air as more and more people continued to cram the seating rows.

I looked around, eventually spotting Adam somewhere in the crowd. He looked lost, scanning over the seats until they landed on me. A smile spread across his handsome face and he waved, making his way down the steps to the row I was in. People made room for him to get through, and he settled in the seat beside me.

"Hey," he greeted, and I felt butterflies awaken in my stomach.

"Hi," I whispered shyly, trying to ignore the stares a group of girls were sending his way.

"A romance movie, huh?" Adam teased, giving me a wink.

It was instant, the blush burning my cheeks as he chuckled.

"Not quite," I defended meekly.

Adam laughed, ruffling my hair. The contact sent tingles through me and I was-embarrassingly-aroused from that simple touch. "Don't be embarrassed, Jamie. Guys can enjoy a good romance from time to time, too."

I sighed, feeling my cheeks grow even hotter.

That didn't explain why the rest of the crowd were women.