39

I bit back a groan, fighting the pain as Adam rubbed healing ointment around and inside my anus. It stung, but not as badly as my eyes did as tears soaked my cheeks. I hated this feeling. This feeling of being used, this feeling of having been touched by someone who wasn't my mate. I wanted to roll into a ball and cry until I died. I felt awful.

"It's not your fault," Adam comforted, but his words did little to soothe my emotions.

I shook my head, choking on a sob as the scene came back to me. "That's not true! What Mr. Roberts did was all my fault! I should have tried harder to fight him! I shouldn't have trusted him in the first place, either! I'm so, so sorry, Adam!"

A hand rubbed circles into my back as he finished applying the ointment. When he was done, he washed his hands in the sink and dried them with the hand towel. I couldn't meet his gaze when he sat on the edge of the tub, staring down at me as he processed the situation.

I didn't say a thing as I succumbed to my emotional breakdown in the empty tub, pulling my knees to my clothed chest. I hated this day so much. I hated Mr. Roberts. I hated myself.

"What Mr. Roberts did was a crime, Jamie. You were simply the victim, you never did anything wrong." His voice was soft. Too soft. He should have been angry with me and yelling, not trying to comfort me.

"Why aren't you mad?" I asked, brushing away the tears. "Why won't you hit me? Shouldn't you be doing that and not...this?"

A sigh followed my question, Adam's hand finding its way into my hair. "I am mad, Jamie," he answered, voice barely above a whisper. "In fact, I'm so fucking pissed that he did that...but I'm not mad at you. I could never be mad at you."

I sniffled, wiping my snot away with my sleeve. "But why?" I wanted to know why he wouldn't hit me, why he wouldn't take his anger out on me and give me the punishment I deserved.

"Why? Because I love you, Jamie. You don't hurt people you love."

I sobbed, feeling my heart ache. It was a terrible feeling, one that had me feeling even worse. Was this because I was happy he still loved me? Or was it because I didn't believe him?

"I love you so much, Jamie. Please, stop crying..." Adam climbed into the tub, laying his head against my belly. Neither of us cared that I wasn't wearing pants. All that mattered was us being close, sharing each other's warmth.

I carded my fingers through his hair like I often did, loving its softness against my skin. His breaths hit my shirt and I smiled softly, enjoying this moment. I loved Adam, but I allowed something horrible happen to me. If he hadn't saved me, Mr. Roberts would have succeeded in raping me. That made me feel weak.

"I love you," I whispered, feeling tears soak my shirt where he laid. I wished I could have gone back in time and prevented all this from happening, but I couldn't. I didn't have that kind of power. No one did.

"Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?" Adam asked. I could hear the distant footsteps of our pups ascending the stairs and I nodded, asking him to hand me my pants. He helped me dress and held my waist so I wouldn't fall as we climbed out of the bathtub. I wiped away my tears and opened the bathroom door with a shaky hand, my eyes meeting my pups' tearful ones.

No words needed to be said. Alyssa was a smart girl; she knew what had happened. Her arms immediately wrapped around my torso and I grinned, hugging her back. Elijah hugged my leg, burying his face against my hip.

"I'm okay." I tried to reassure them, but I knew neither of them believed me. Elijah was still too young to understand what had happened, but that didn't deter him from shedding a few tears for my sake.

"Are you okay, daddy?" he asked softly and quietly. I smiled happily, ruffling his hair.

"I'm okay, sport. Where's Daniel?"

Elijah grinned. "He's downstairs. He said we were going to have a sleepover!"

I sighed, glancing to Adam. "Did you authorize this?"

"I did." He was barely holding back a smile of his own. "I thought it would help having the pups occupied, so I called him over for a sleepover."

I wanted to say I didn't like it, that I didn't trust him, but I did. I knew Daniel would never hurt Elijah.

"Thanks." I leaned over to peck his cheek, smiling as his cheeks flushed an adorable shade of pink.

"You don't have to go to school tomorrow," he said gleefully, and I couldn't stop myself from internally cheering at the good news. After what happened today, I didn't want to go to school. Especially if Jack was going to be there.

"Thanks." The three of us walked down the stairs, the scent of food hitting my nostrils and reminding me that I had missed lunch. I was hungry and craving for something meaty.

Charlotte was in the dining room, serving dishes. Enchiladas with a side of rice, refried beans, guacamole and homemade sour cream. It looked delicious, especially the hot sauce that was waiting to be devoured.

"Why don't you look at me like that?" Adam asked, pulling me from the feast of food in my head. God, I was so hungry...

I raised a brow, confused. "Like what?"

"Like you're going to devour it." The pout on his face was adorable.

I awed, wrapping my arms around his neck. I pulled him in for a tongue-twisting kiss, moving my lips over his sensually as the gremlins gagged while watching us.

"Ew! Stop!" Elijah begged, covering his eyes.

Adam and I chuckled, pulling away. We all took out seats, Elijah basically bouncing with excitement while he waited for Daniel to arrive. When the doorbell rung, he shot up and was gone in a flash, throwing open the front door and jumping in the arms of an unsuspecting bear who went toppling from the surprise impact. The two fell, Daniel securing Eli in his arms so he wouldn't get hurt.

"You okay?" he asked, and Elijah nodded with a wide grin.

"Uh-huh! You're like a knight in shining armor, Danny!" he chirped, and Daniel laughed, kissing his forehead.

"Glad to hear that, pup. What's for dinner?"

"Hehe! You're gonna love it!"

Elijah scrambled to his feet, Daniel quick to follow. They closed the door and entered the dining room, finding their seats at the table. With everyone here, we were free to eat our meal and chat.

It was a pleasant evening. After dinner, I helped Charlotte and Alyssa clean the dishes and we all settled in the living room for a movie afterwards. The pups were tired once it was over, so Daniel helped them build a blanket fort using the chairs from the dining room. Charlotte excused herself to her room, and Adam and I left to be alone in our bedroom.

He pulled me against him, burying his face in my hair as he inhaled my scent. Just being in his arms instantly made me feel better, and I was reminded of the many reasons why I loved him. He made me feel safe, secure, and loved. I couldn't ask for a better mate.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked quietly, smiling softly.

I grinned, getting lost in the blue of his eyes. "How much I love you," I answered honestly, my heart skipping a beat when his smile grew and looked at me with that look; that genuine, 'I love you' look.

"And I love you. Forever and always."

"Forever and always," I agreed, pulling him in for another kiss.

I had the greatest mate in the whole world, and nothing was going to come between us.