26

Jamie's POV

I finished tucking Elijah into bed, giving his forehead a kiss. It was his Saturday naptime, something I refused to allow him to run away from. He was going to sleep and Adam and I would finally get some time to ourselves.

Elijah yawned, eyes falling closed as he curled into the blankets. "Night, night, daddy," he whispered.

I smiled, pressing another kiss to his forehead. "Sleep well, Eli."

Once I was sure Elijah was comfortable and sleeping contentedly, I stood up and walked out the door, leaving the door ajar just in case. Adam was watching the news in the living room, focused intently on the latest case of theft.

"He's asleep," I said, taking the spot beside him. I rested my head on his shoulder, taking his hand in mine. "He's an easy sleeper. Did you know that?"

Adam chuckled, nodding. "Yeah, I know. He's so active during the day, he's out like a light when you put him down for bed."

I smiled, changing the channel until we found something decent to watch. We remained there happily on the couch while watching a cartoon, something that surprisingly consisted of adult humor and succeeded in making us laugh.

The doorbell ringing caught my attention, pulling my attention away from the television. I gave Adam a peck on his cheek before standing up to answer it, not expecting what I found on the other side.

A small girl stood there, large brown eyes staring up at me. Tears soaked her cheeks and snot spilled from her tiny nose as she sniffled, close to breaking down.

"Are y-you Adam?" she asked, choking on a sob as she tried to force out the words.

"No, but I'm his mate," I replied, kneeling down to her level. She couldn't have been more than six years of age. Who brought her here? "Where are your parents?"

The girl's bottom lip trembled, more tears soaking her cheeks. "M-my mom told me to find Adam Smith. She said h-he would protect m-me."

"Your mom? What happened?"

"There w-was an a-attack. My mom tried to fight them off, but she told me to r-run. She said Adam lived in Pleaven, so I c-came here."

"An attack?" I grabbed her hand, guiding her into the house. I closed the door and walked her to the living room, Adam turning to see who it was.

"Who is she?" he asked, standing up to walk towards us. The girl had to look up to meet his gaze, her own growing more teary as she sobbed. She threw her skinny arms around him, burying her face in his shirt.

"She said there was an attack," I explained when he gave me a questioning look. "Her mother told her to find you, said you'd protect her."

"Her mother? Wait..." Adam picked the girl up and carried her to the couch, setting her on it. He knelt down, taking her trembling hands in his. "What's your name, sweetie?"

The girl sniffled. "M-my name is Alyssa. Alyssa Harris. My mom said you'd protect me. Is that true?"

Adam gave her a reassuring smile. "Of course I will, Alyssa. You'll be safe here with us."

Alyssa nodded, glancing up at me. "He's your mate?" she asked.

Adam nodded. "Yes, he is."

"Then...since my parents died, can you be my new ones?" Alyssa gave pleading eyes, a look I knew neither of us could resist.

"We're not going to abandon you, Alyssa. I promise." Adam pulled her into a hug, despite the state she was in. Her dress was torn and coated with dirt, and leaves were stuck in her course curls.

"Why don't we get you into clean clothes, okay?" I held out my hand, waiting for Alyssa to take it. When she did, I led her into the bathroom and ran her a bath. While she bathed, I searched in Charlotte's closet for decent clothes and soon found a pink t-shirt that would fit like a dress on her.

I returned to the bathroom and knocked, the door cracking open to reveal Alyssa with a towel wrapped around her body, hair wet.

"This is for you," I said, holding out the shirt. "We don't have any underwear your size, but I'll ask Charlotte to buy some on the way home."

Alyssa took the shirt from me and was about to close the door when she stopped, giving me a confused look. "Charlotte?"

"Oh, she's the lady who owns this house. We live with her," I explained.

Alyssa nodded, giving me a thankful smile before she closed the door. A minute later and the door opened again, a clothed Alyssa gesturing for me to join her in the bathroom.

"Do you need something?" I asked, perplexed to why she wanted me in here.

"I need some cream for my hair," she said, looking at me expectantly.

I raised a brow. "Cream?"

Alyssa nodded. "If I don't put cream in my hair, it will be puffy," she explained, demonstrating the puff with her hands. "My curls need a lot of care."

"Oh." I looked in the mirror cabinet where Charlotte stored all her hair products. Eventually I found something like a cream and handed it to Alyssa. "Is this okay?"

Alyssa studied the product carefully before giving a shrug and taking it from me. "This will have to do," she said, opening the container. "But I'll need your help to put my hair in pigtails, so don't leave!"

I cracked a smile, waiting patiently while she worked the product into her hair. When she was done, she handed me two ponytails she had found on the doorknob. I helped pull her hair into two high pigtails and the final result were two puffy balls on her head, a look that was too adorable.

She turned, grinning wide. "Thanks for the help. It's a little tough trying to get my hair to look this good." Alyssa then yawned and I remembered that she must have worked hard to get here. For all I knew, she was running through the woods.

"Do you want to take a nap?" I asked. Alyssa nodded. "Are you okay sleeping with someone? We had another rogue show up on our doorstep and he's asleep right now. There's only one spare bed."

Alyssa shrugged. "I don't mind. A bed is a bed."

I laughed. "Okay."

I led her to Elijah's room and got her situated on the bed. She was out in seconds and I was free to return to Adam. He was in the dining room, his leg bouncing up and down while he looked to be deep in thought. Upon seeing me enter, he straightened up and offered a smile.

"How is she?" he asked.

I grinned, sitting on his lap to be as close to him as I could get. Adam welcomed my affection, wrapping his arms around me to pull me close.

"She's sleeping with Elijah right now. Poor girl looked exhausted," I answered, tracing shapes into his hand. "I find it strange how two rogue children have sought us out within a week. What's going on?"

Adam hummed. "I find it strange, too. From what Alyssa told me, it sounds like a war between packs. But...those are really rare."

"Do you think we could actually take care of them, though? I mean, I don't even have a job yet. And what if their parents come looking for them, but I've grown too attached to let them go? What then?" I couldn't refrain myself from asking. I felt useless, unable to properly protect them and care for them because of my age. I knew Adam could do it, though. Adam wasn't one to run away from a chance, especially when it was a chance to help people.

Adam pressed a kiss to my temple, the affection successfully soothing my reeling mind. "You'll make a great parent, trust me," he whispered gingerly. "We'll protect them."

I sighed. "Really?"

Adam nodded. "Of course. No one's going to harm them, I promise."

I relaxed into his touch, letting go of my worries. I trusted Adam. When he made a promise, he meant it, and I knew he wasn't going to let harm befall on Elijah and Alyssa.

"We're going to be the best parents," I responded, earning another peck from my mate. I trust you.