24

I couldn't stop staring at the kid that stood in front of me. Did he just call me his daddy?

"Um... Adam!"

Footsteps could be heard and Adam appeared beside me. "Yeah?"

I turned to look at him, folding my arms as I gave him a questioning look. Adam raised a brow, finally noticing the kid on his doorstep.

"Is he yours?" I demanded, and Adam's previous look of confusion turned to worry.

"I swear to god, Jamie, I never had a relationship until I met you," he said, holding his hands up in surrender. "I don't even know who this kid is."

"I'm Elijah!" the kid announced, smile still present. "And you," he said, pointing his finger at me, "are my daddy!"

Now it was my turn to freak out. "No, no, no. I am not your dad," I assured him, but the kid didn't budge and shook his head.

"You're not my dad," he said. "He's my dad!" He pointed to Adam. "And you're my daddy!"

Adam and I gave each other confused looks. This kid was standing at our door, insisting that we were his parents. Was that the reason he came here?

"Sweetie, I can assure you that we are not your parents," I said, kneeling to his level. "How old are you?"

Elijah held up fours fingers. "I'm four!"

"Where are your parents, Elijah?" Adam asked, and Elijah gave him a toothy grin.

"You're standing right in front of me, dad," he answered, as if he was stupid to not have known.

"Um..." Adam turned, acting as if he was trying to find an answer written on the wall. He then turned to me, lowering his voice to a whisper. "What do we do?" he asked. "The boy's a rogue."

"Really? How do you know?"

"I can tell by his smell, for one. He hasn't been bathed and he looks like he hasn't been fed, either."

"Well, we can't send him away!" I whispered back. A tug on my shirt brought my attention back to the boy.

"Daddy, I'm hungry," he whined, his lips forming into a pout. "Feed me?"

I sighed. "Shit."

"That's a bad word!"

Adam snickered.

"Yes, Elijah. It is." I took the boy's hand and led him to the kitchen where Charlotte was finishing cooking the steaks. She turned around, eyes widening at the sight of our young visitor.

"My, who is this?" she asked, turning the stove off.

"He insists on Adam and I being his parents," I answered, to which Elijah nodded his agreement.

"I'm four!" he said, holding up the correct number of fingers.

Adam entered the kitchen, grinning like an idiot. "Do you like steak, Elijah?" he asked cheerfully.

Elijah spun around, eyes wide as he did a happy dance. "I love steak!" he answered. "Steak! Steak! Steak!"

"I guess we're having a guest for dinner," Charlotte said, chuckling. "Why don't you boys take Elijah to the dining room? I'll bring the food out."

"Okay! Come on, Elijah." Adam took his hand, guiding him to the dining room. "You're gonna love Charlotte's cooking!"

I watched them leave, turning to Charlotte when they were out of sight. "What am I going to do?" I asked. "I can't be a father!"

Charlotte smiled. "He's a rogue, Jamie. He must have imprinted with you two when he smelled you in the neighborhood."

"Imprinted?"

"He bonded to you. The poor boy needs werewolf parents, and you're the only two in Pleaven. No matter what you say, he will always believe that you're his parents."

I'm a...father?!

~<<>>~

I made my way through the crowds, my sight focused on the school doors ahead of me. I eventually found myself outside and I looked towards the parking space, spotting Adam and Elijah waiting beside the car.

"Daddy!"

I tried to hide my face under my hood as students began to glance my way. Elijah ran towards me, arms out and ready to fall into my arms. He was lucky I even caught him, considering how much he weighed.

"I missed you, daddy!" he said. "Dad and I had so much fun! We watched cartoons and played puzzles, and he even trimmed my hair! Do you like it?" His hands gripped his brown locks and he grinned happily.

"Yes, I think it's very nice," I answered, giving him a nod. "Did dad give you a bath, too? "

"Mhmm. He even added bubbles!" Elijah threw his hands into the air, showing how excited he was about that.

"That's good." I carried him towards the car, trying my best not to show how hard it was. Adam merely chuckled as he opened the backseat door and I helped Elijah into the booster seat.

"Can we have grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner?" he asked, giving me a face I couldn't bring myself to say no to.

"Yes, we can have grilled cheese for dinner." I got into the passenger seat and buckled up, Adam getting into the driver's side. A knock sounded on my window and I turned to see Katy and Claire, both of them eyeing the four-year-old who was singing a song he had heard from a cartoon.

I rolled down the window, acting normal. "Yes?"

"Um...when did you adopt?" Katy asked.

I shrugged. "Follow us home and I'll tell you, " I answered and Katy looked even more confused. I heard shuffling in the backseat before four fingers appeared beside my face.

"I'm four!" Elijah said, to which Adam nodded his head.

"That is correct, Elijah. Now please sit back so I can drive," he replied sweetly.

"Oki-doki, dad." Elijah giggled, sitting back as he was told. "I'm a good boy, right?"

Adam grinned "The best!"

More giggling followed and Katy remained confused, but Claire was quick to pull her away when Adam turned the gear to reverse.

"We'll meet you at the house!" she shouted and I gave her a thumbs-up before we departed.

The drive to Charlotte's house was filled with "oohs" and "awes" from Elijah, who sat in his seat gazing out the window. His face-splitting grin remained intact and his eyes practically sparkled as he took in the sights of Pleaven. Especially the cat that was sitting in someone's lawn, watching cars drive by.

"I want to be a cat when I grow up!" he announced, and I couldn't help but chuckle.

Little does he know...