They Don't Know About Us: First Year Part 24

Chapter 24:

A yawn escapes Draco's lips as he appears out of his bedroom. Another late night of playing wizard chess, eating cauldron cakes, and talking about whatever they can think.

"Morning, Draco," Phoenix greets him with a smile, just as tired.

He turns his head to see his best friend, all dressed in a sleeveless high neck black top and loose black trousers. Leith is on her head, still almost asleep, snuggling into her hair.

"Morning, Phoenix," he greets back, smiling a little. "Are you okay with the late nights?" he asked.

"I do enjoy them, Draco," she smiles to him before smirking, "especially when I beat you at Wizard Chess."

He scowls. "You always cheat at the game."

"I don't cheat; I get competitive, Malfoy," she smirks more before giggling a little.

Draco smirks back, "We shall see, Emberson."

"Master, mistress," a house-elf speaks up. They turn towards him, looking down. "Breakfast is ready."

"Thank you, sir," Phoenix thanked the creature with a smile.

The house-elf is taken back by the young girl's kind gesture, but bows to her in thanking her. He was a little worried about saying something that Draco wouldn't approve of. Draco actually accepts the way the creature greeted Phoenix, just like how the house-elves call Narcissa.

"Come on, Phoenix, let's go," Draco tells her, leading her to the dining room.

"I'm coming, Draco!" she smiles back, catching up to him.

Their parents are already there at the table—Lucius at the head of the table like always. Narcissa is on his left side while Eilidh sits across from her on his right side. They were talking among themselves when the two children entered.

"You two look tired," Eilidh comments from her seat.

"Mummy, you know that I'm a creature of the darkness," Phoenix chuckles a little through her small smirk. "Besides, I only got three hours of sleep last night," she mentions, walking over to the seat next to her mother.

"Sounds like you when we were in Hogwarts, Eillie," Narcissa smirks at her best friend as her son helps Phoenix into her seat.

"No creatures at the table," Lucius firmly tells the little girl again about the creature on her head. That's also when the Emberson Raven lands on Eilidh's shoulder.

Leith stares at him for a moment before crawling down Phoenix's body to the floor where another house-elf placed a plate of food in front of him. He happily eats the food.

Serpent follows suit and eats the food provided for him too.

Draco sits next to Narcissa, smiling at his best friend and her mother.

Breakfast is provided to the family and guests.

Eilidh feeds her raven some grapes as he stands on her shoulder.

"Eilidh," Lucius speaks to her, turning to her, "what does your husband do exactly?" he questioned her, surprising the mother and daughter.

Phoenix looks up to her mummy, not sure of what to answer that question.

"My husband doesn't like being around....people," she smirks at the last part wickedly. "So, he mostly spends time with creatures and being in nature whenever he's not with us. Occasionally, he would have to travel to take care of creatures."

Not a complete lie. Serpent does spend his time either with creatures and nature or be with his family. Sometimes, he will travel with them to explore new creatures.

"So, he's a magizoologist?" Narcissa questioned.

"Yes, he is, but he keeps to himself of his work because, as I said, he doesn't like being around a lot of people."

"I would like to be like him when I grow up," Phoenix mentions with a smile.

"Remember, daughter, you may have an extent of knowledge of magical creatures growing up; you still have a long way to go for getting up to your daddy's level," Eilidh tells her firmly.

Phoenix nods her head in response.

Draco watches his best friend, happy to see that she has a bright future ahead of her, and the little girl is determined to make it there. One of the things that he admired about his best friend. "Hopefully, I can be a part of her future," he thinks to himself, smiling a little more.

Before anyone knows it, it's the night before that the Embersons will be leaving. Narcissa has arranged a nice dinner for the five of them at a fancy wizarding restaurant. Unfortunately, creatures aren't allowed to enter into the building, so Serpent and Leith had to stay at the Manor.

Phoenix and Draco appear out of their rooms at the same time as they always did since the Embersons first visited them. He's wearing his finest black and grey dress robes, still wanting to impress his best friend. His head turns and is stunned by Phoenix's appearance.

She's wearing a grey dress with layered ends that reach to her ankles. In a couple of areas of the dress, black lace matches the three-quarter sleeved black cover-up/jacket that goes down to her knees. Her pale feet are strapped with black sandals. Phoenix has her shoulder-length black/grey hair down with some loose curls.

"Hello, Draco," she greets her best friend, nervously smiles, "is this fancy enough?" she asked, really nervous and worried.

"Why are you asking me, Phoenix?" Draco asked, a little confused as to why she is asking that question.

"Because this is what I consider as fancy, but I know your family will consider it as more casual," Phoenix explains with her head lowered, almost embarrassed.

"Phoenix, you're perfect just the way you are," Draco tells her with a smile. "Besides, everyone will be jealous of you when they see you," he smirks, hoping it will cheer her up.

She smirks back, seeing what he is doing. "Are Malfoy men always wanting to charm the ladies?" she asked with a giggle.

"Guilty as charged," he laughs along. "Besides, you're my best friend," he smirks.

"Forever?"

"Forever."

Serpent watches his only daughter in his raven form while standing on one of the portraits of one of the Malfoy ancestors. He knew sooner or later that she would have a possible suitor, but he's honestly hoping they stay in the friendship until she turns forty years into a romantic relationship. "It's okay, Serpent," he thinks to himself, "they are in the best friend phase and nothing else."

Draco offers his arm to his best friend. It confuses her because she wasn't sure of what he is doing, but Phoenix soon figures out by placing her small hands on her arm.

The raven's blood begins to boil but takes deep, silent breaths to calm his anger.

The two best friends meet up with their parents. Lucius and Narcissa are wearing their finest dress robes, similar to Draco's robes, while Eilidh's wearing a black boho long dress with a v-neckline. Similar sandals are on her feet while simple makeup on her face.

"You guys look like you're going on a date," Eilidh giggles, looking at them.

"Thanks, Mummy," Phoenix chuckles a little.

"Whoa, easy now, Ellie!" Narcissa's surprised by her comment. "They are too young to know what love is."

"And we are listening to everything," Draco's a little annoyed to be ignored.

"Let's go now so that we wouldn't be late," Lucius speaks up coldly, walking towards the entrance.

Draco rolls his eyes at this. "Let's go, Phoenix," he says to her, escorting her out.