They Don't Know About Us: First-Year Part 6

Chapter 6:

In Charms class, Professor Flitwick is a very short creature professor who stands on a bunch of books. "One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation, the ability to make objects fly. Uh, do you all have your feathers?" Hermione and Phoenix raise their feathers. "Good. Now, uh, don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm? The swish and flick. Everyone. The swish and flick." Everybody joins in. "Good. And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then."

"Wingardium Levio-saaa," Draco tries from Phoenix's left side.

"Wingardrium Leviosar," Ron tries along with everyone, whacking with his wand countless times.

"Stop, stop, stop," Hermione tells him, next to him. "You're going to take someone's eye out. Besides, you're saying it wrong. It's Leviosa, not Leviosar."

"You do it then if you're so clever," Ron argues back. "Go on, go on."

Meanwhile, across from them where the Slytherin students are, Phoenix places her wand down and begins to move her fingers in a certain way. The feather begins to fly up as her fingers begin to move the feather in the air.

Everyone looks up, noticing the feather flying up and the student who's doing it is using wandless and nonverbal magic!

"Oh, well done! See here, everyone!" Professor Flitwick speaks up with a huge smile. "Miss Emberson's done it! Oh, splendid!"

"But Professor! She's not using her wand!" Hermione tells the professor.

Hermione's words make the feather go back down where it is. Phoenix got embarrassed that she didn't do what she was told to do, but did something else.

"It's quite alright, Miss Emberson," Professor Flitwick says to her with a smile. "Why do you perform the charm with your wand this time, okay?"

Draco watches the girl next to him along with everyone else.

Phoenix stands up her posture while grabbing her wand. She swishes and flicks while speaking, "Wingardium Leviosa." Just like before her feather begins to fly up with the motion of her wand.

"Well done, dear," the professor smiles again at the student.

Everyone joins in with the motion.

Seamus starts swishing his wand at the feather before him. "Wingard Levosa. Wingard Levosa." All of a sudden, Seamus's feather explodes, making Professor Flitwick gasp.

"Whooaaa! Ooh," Flitwick gasps.

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor," Harry says, who is sitting next to Seamus.

After class, some of the Gryffindors are walking through a courtyard with other students around them.

"It's Leviosa, not Leviosar," Ron mimics Hermione's words from earlier. "Honestly, she's a nightmare. No wonder she hasn't got any friends!"

Hermione hears that and storms off while sniffling.

"I think she heard you," Harry says to Ron.

Later on that night in the great hall for dinner and dessert, Halloween is among them as Jack O'Lanterns are lighting up the room. Everyone's eating some candy and chattering away about anything they can think of.

"Where's Hermione?" Harry asked his housemates about the missing muggle-born.

"Parvati Patil said that she wouldn't come out of the girl's bathroom," Neville answered. "She said that she'd been in there all afternoon....crying."